• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to Contracting, advice on mileage and travel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Lisa......
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I've always operated a Ltd so if I hire a car for business purposes the whole cost of the hire would go through the business.

Do the above comments mean that this cost can't be claimed if using an umbrella?

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
        I guess I may have been a naughty boy again for years.

Sonetimes I use my car, sometimes my partners. Have even used my sons, daughters, and a hire car if I couldn't lay my hands on anything else.

checking what hmrc have to say they do say "your own vehicle". I took this as a wide meaning. I.e. a vehicle supplied by me. It also mentions multiple vehicles of the same type.

Nowhere in any of the guidance can I find any suggestion of owned by, or registered to. Which are very different things.
        You would arguably be ok with using partner's car but definitely not a hire car

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDandy View Post
          If you rent a car you are not responsible for the servicing, MOT etc.
          Of course you are. It is just less obvious and rolled up in the rental or lease cost.

I understand your point of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
            I've always operated a Ltd so if I hire a car for business purposes the whole cost of the hire would go through the business.

Do the above comments mean that this cost can't be claimed if using an umbrella?
            The cost of the hire car can be put through the business but you couldn't claim mileage allowances

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
              I feel a bit dehydrated....
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                Of course you are. It is just less obvious and rolled up in the rental or lease cost.

I understand your point of course.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I feel a bit dehydrated....
                  Tea or coffee? Biscuits or cake?

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

The cost of the hire car can be put through the business but you couldn't claim mileage allowances
                    Yeah, I wouldn't claim the mileage on a hire car but normally you need to return it with a full tank so the petrol receipt would be reimbursed as it's part of the cost of the hire.

Comment

You would arguably be ok with using partner's car but definitely not a hire car
                      Interesting. There I was thinking I should throw myself at hmrc mercy I thought I would check the definition of "own vehicle". Hmrc of course don't so itepa for the definition.

except it isnt there either. But s229 4 b states that 229 1 (amaps) applies to everything that is not a company provided vehicle which is defined elsewhere.

there is nothing about it needing to be the employee own vehicle in any shape or form.

of course it could have been changed since then. When I find the most recent act I shall check. But it seems to me that at the moment I have done nothing wrong - even if it is contrary to hmrc guidance.

feel free to sponsor my escape from the scrubs in a couple of years when it turns out I am entirely wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X