• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to Contracting, advice on mileage and travel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    How tall is your house??? Even with eight feet ceilings, that's four storeys.
    But can we assume he doesn't have a fireman's pole to get there...?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      But can we assume he doesn't have a fireman's pole to get there...?
      I believe his Mrs had something similar installed, but for some reason it only goes from floor to ceiling in one room. It's heavily reinforced, I'm told.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I believe his Mrs had something similar installed, but for some reason it only goes from floor to ceiling in one room. It's heavily reinforced, I'm told.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by niaz7 View Post
          Thanks everyone for your advice and the clarification

However, I do need to replace my car and may explore the hp/contract hire option for 6 months, would I be able to claim any mileage? Anyone know of some good deals?

If I don't get anywhere with the above option, I will start off with the train (it will me 5 hours to get home though) and then look at booking flights in advance and take this option - the key thing is I can be home in 2 hours.

I am new to all this and learning - I will now keep receipt for everything
          If you lease a car then you can't claim mileage as the car is in the name of the hire company and not your name; if you were to buy a car on hp or contract hire then you could as the vehicle documents would be in your name
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
            If you lease a car then you can't claim mileage as the car is in the name of the hire company and not your name; if you were to buy a car on hp or contract hire then you could as the vehicle documents would be in your name
            Errrrrr........

Famous last words but how does ownership of the vehicle make the slightest difference ?? Especially since ownership and registered keeper are different things.

If I use my partners car does that suddenly not count ??

If I rent a car ? (Actually I could see this one)

If I have a car on long term rental and use that?

If I have a car on finance and it is the finance co name on the v5. (Rare. But still happens).

Comment

How tall is your house??? Even with eight feet ceilings, that's four storeys.
              Maybe he has bunk beds?

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                Errrrrr........

Famous last words but how does ownership of the vehicle make the slightest difference ?? Especially since ownership and registered keeper are different things.

If I have a car on finance and it is the finance co name on the v5. (Rare. But still happens).
                If you rent a car you are not responsible for the servicing, MOT etc. Sure you will have to possibly top up with oil over a longer term lease but the mileage allowance is for the ongoing maintenance costs that you would assume responsibility for. There shouldn't be an issue claiming the actual petrol costs to make a particular business journey, for example retaining the petrol receipts and claiming against those (only for the business mileage of course).

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                  Errrrrr........

WTDS
                  Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

WTDS
                    Lisa......
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

WTDS
                      I guess I may have been a naughty boy again for years.

Sonetimes I use my car, sometimes my partners. Have even used my sons, daughters, and a hire car if I couldn't lay my hands on anything else.

checking what hmrc have to say they do say "your own vehicle". I took this as a wide meaning. I.e. a vehicle supplied by me. It also mentions multiple vehicles of the same type.

Nowhere in any of the guidance can I find any suggestion of owned by, or registered to. Which are very different things.

Comment

Working...
                      X