• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good ASP.net + SQL Server provider

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good ASP.net + SQL Server provider

I'm working on a contract for a client who are asking for a web based data application. I'll be implementing a SQL Server (2012) + .net 4.5 Web API solution for them.

It will start small but of course it needs to be easily scaled up and out when the time comes.
    They do have a website but it is WordPress.

So I'm just wondering if members have (or know someone that has) had good or bad experience with those kind of service providers / hosting companies?
    Bonus points for SPs who offer free or nearly free no strings attached 'developer' platforms.
    Last edited by zazou; 30 January 2014, 12:57.

Not sure what you mean by "service provider"? Do you want a "one man" contractor to come in under your company to do some .Net and SQL2012?

Or are you looking for a larger consultancy company who can build you the entire system? Good luck with getting anything for free.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
      Not sure what you mean by "service provider"? Do you want a "one man" contractor to come in under your company to do some .Net and SQL2012?

Or are you looking for a larger consultancy company who can build you the entire system? Good luck with getting anything for free.

qh
      Sorry if it was unclear. I'm the developer, service provider as the web hosting company!

Comment

Originally posted by zazou View Post
        I'm working on a contract for a client who are asking for a web based data application. I'll be implementing a SQL Server (2012) + .net 4.5 Web API solution for them.

It will start small but of course it needs to be easily scaled up and out when the time comes.
        They do have a website but it is WordPress.

So I'm just wondering if members have (or know someone that has) had good or bad experience with those kind of service providers / hosting companies?
        Bonus points for SPs who offer free or nearly free no strings attached 'developer' platforms.
        I've used discountASP and nothing but good things to say about them. I'm not sure about scaling up though but they do say they have some pretty large websites as customers.

I've moved a couple of my website over to Azure but more expensive and using a dedicated VM so might be more than your after. Though you can set up a website and db for peanuts if you don't need to run a dedicated VM with them, but there is a learning curve.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          I've used discountASP and nothing but good things to say about them. I'm not sure about scaling up though but they do say they have some pretty large websites as customers.

I've moved a couple of my website over to Azure but more expensive and using a dedicated VM so might be more than your after. Though you can set up a website and db for peanuts if you don't need to run a dedicated VM with them, but there is a learning curve.
          for something small discountasp is probably the best bet.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

VidaHost or get on the Microsoft BizSpark programe and get free access to Azure for 3 years.

GE

Comment

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
              VidaHost or get on the Microsoft BizSpark programe and get free access to Azure for 3 years.

GE
              Its not bizspark material as its for a client not a product....
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

123-reg do seem to have a reasonable offer on at the moment. Anyone have good or bad things to say about them?
                Afaik they only have SQL 2008 though and I'm not sure about the interface.

Comment

Epilogue

After looking at a few options I'll be going with HostingUK developer package.
                  I looked at Discount ASP but when you added a database and sub domains the price had almost trebled.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    I've used discountASP and nothing but good things to say about them.
                    What a horrible website. Looks like they should get one of their customers to design a site for them.

Comment

Working...
                    X