• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Logmein free no more?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

team viewer has a free option for private use only. Might be a decent free replacement.

Or just pay for logmein.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I think the main complaints are the total lack of notice.
      And the rate, its one thing to ask for $10 at no notice its another thing to ask for $50.....
      I don"t think they put much thought into the timing of this announcement.

What other time of year are the masses having to concentrate on how much they overspent on Xmas?

The positive side to this announcement is that "Microsoft" might not be calling your relatives any more saying they can fix their system remotely for a hefty fee. That's got to be a plus.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        On a forum for people who charge hundreds of pounds a day for writing software, this comment seems rather odd. Open source software has done some great things, but one bad thing (partly from this and partly the web in general) is the prevailing feeling that nobody should have to pay for software.
        WHS

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          WHS
          How would this forum function without your insight and wisdom I wonder. Truly inspiring.

I'm not even sure that Logmein is open source is it? Open source and limited functionality freebies aren't even distant cousins.

Offering something for free until your hooked, then charging... isn't that a drug-dealer trick?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            WHS
            WHS

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
              Offering something for free until your hooked, then charging... isn't that a drug-dealer trick?
              It's a business approach.

If you expect to use free software then be prepared to work for free also.

That company did not handle transition well, such things should be much better planned, BUT people who find software useful should be expected to pay for it because the people who make it got families to support. It's not like this software is a simple script that can be written in 15 mins.

Comment

So is teamviewer the best alternative?

I'm looking for a solution that doesn't need/use port forwarding as one machine is behind a firewall I can't configure.

Also, I haven't seen anything about them removing the free access for Hamachi, or have I just missed something?

As I understand it, $99 (after 1st year) is for 2 machines only - after that the price jumps considerably. Although it may be a small price to pay to stop my mother trying to install carp off the tinterweb.

Comment

Just had this on my account:

LogMeIn Free is no longer available. To continue using remote access, a paid account subscription of LogMeIn Pro is now required. Because you’re a loyal user, we’re giving you a complimentary six-month LogMeIn Pro subscription for your computers. Your existing Ignition app will continue to work with this subscription. After your six-month complimentary license expires, you will need to purchase an account subscription of LogMeIn Pro for continued service.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    So is teamviewer the best alternative?
                    Yep. You'll need to install a host on the client machine for it to work best. Same as LMI really. Look out for Teamviewer's "no use for work" policy though.

I'm looking for a solution that doesn't need/use port forwarding as one machine is behind a firewall I can't configure.
                    Teamviewer

Also, I haven't seen anything about them removing the free access for Hamachi, or have I just missed something?
                    $20 but can't remember if that's for a year or not.

As I understand it, $99 (after 1st year) is for 2 machines only - after that the price jumps considerably. Although it may be a small price to pay to stop my mother trying to install carp off the tinterweb.
                    Your mum shouldn't have an Admin account to be able to install anything. That's how it works if I set up a family machine

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      The mobile app stores have spoilt people, they want polished apps for £0.69p a time
                      Speaking of which I picked up VNC Viewer free for both Android and iOS yesterday
                      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                      X