• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best NAS software ? FreeNAS, NAS4Free, ... ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best NAS software ? FreeNAS, NAS4Free, ... ?

Hi,

Just to emphasise I already have the hardware (HP N54L) and am interested to know forumites opinions as to what software NAS solution is the best ? Are there any out there apart from FreeNAS and NAS4Free ?

I will also want to run Subversion and Git servers as well as VirtualBox so will need a full OS implementation rather than just the pre-canned ones so that is an issue.

Thanks,

Boo

Originally posted by Boo View Post
    Hi,

Just to emphasise I already have the hardware (HP N54L) and am interested to know forumites opinions as to what software NAS solution is the best ? Are there any out there apart from FreeNAS and NAS4Free ?

I will also want to run Subversion and Git servers as well as VirtualBox so will need a full OS implementation rather than just the pre-canned ones so that is an issue.

Thanks,

Boo
    FreeNAS is a cut down version of FreeBSD. It's great as a NAS, but trying to run other stuff on top is non-trivial. Nas4Free is a fork of FreeNAS 7, so I imagine you'll have the same problems.

I did briefly considering running extra stuff on top of FreeNAS, but to be honest you're breaking the NAS model if you do that. I'd have just ended up tinkering and breaking stuff. I personally just spent the extra couple of hundred and bought a 2nd Microserver and had one as a dedicated NAS and another as a ESX server.

Alternatively of course, you could install Linux/BSD and configure it by hand.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Working...
    X