• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Email everywhere?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    What do you mean by "configure [Gmail] to use localcompany's SMTP server"? What is "Gmail" in that scenario - an app, the web interface?

If I send mail from my Android phone it sends as [email protected], not [email protected], so it all works. Same if I use Thunderbird on my PC, and same if I use the web interface.
    Gmail as in the web interface through a browser at this point.
    Gmail has the ability to "Send Mail As" someone other than the default [email protected] address. When you add a "Send Mail As" account, you have an option to "Send through Gmail (easier to set up)" or to "Send through [email protected] SMTP servers".

I'm talking about doping the latter, not the former.

I have no idea why you think, or why you think I think, that your email might be sent as [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      What do you mean by "configure [Gmail] to use localcompany's SMTP server"? What is "Gmail" in that scenario - an app, the web interface?

If I send mail from my Android phone it sends as [email protected], not [email protected], so it all works. Same if I use Thunderbird on my PC, and same if I use the web interface.
      As far as I understand it, Gmail is working as a client for the other email account.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        Won't one of the problems with IMAP be that if one user deletes an email then it will get deleted on the server and from everyone else's devices?

Or is this not an issue with IMAP?
        I think that's absolutely an issue with IMAP

Comment

Working...
        X