• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Email everywhere?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oooo ... the reply-from address isn't always Google, I can make it localcompany with some jiggery pokery

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Why not just get Google apps or similar to take over the email provision, and do everything through webmail?
      Yeah, I'm heading that way ...

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Oooo ... the reply-from address isn't always Google, I can make it localcompany with some jiggery pokery
        Yep, you should be able to add "Send mail as" accounts in the settings.

Comment

Why not just get Google apps or similar to take over the email provision, and do everything through webmail?
          What do you get with Google apps for £33/user/year that you don't get with free GMail accounts?
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            It's no longer free which is usually the price many people require
            But presumably if they have an email domain, they are paying for that already. You can get email for free, but not email on your own domain (that I know of).

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            What do you get with Google apps for £33/user/year that you don't get with free GMail accounts?
            A bunch more storage and the ability to connect it to your domain (MX records IIRC) so that Google IS your email, rather than having to forward stuff around.
            Worth it in my mind, since Exchange hosting rather than regular email costs a few quid anyway.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Won't one of the problems with IMAP be that if one user deletes an email then it will get deleted on the server and from everyone else's devices?

Or is this not an issue with IMAP?

Comment

A bunch more storage and the ability to connect it to your domain (MX records IIRC) so that Google IS your email, rather than having to forward stuff around.
                Worth it in my mind, since Exchange hosting rather than regular email costs a few quid anyway.
                It's something like £20 for 3 years for my domain from NamesCo, and that includes forwarding 5 email addresses plus a catch-all. So a 5-person company can have email for £6.66 per year instead of £165.

It does mean there's an extra step in forwarding, but I've never noticed a delay.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                  Yep, you should be able to add "Send mail as" accounts in the settings.
                  Here's how it seems to be working (posting by way of an update and in case anyone else ever finds this helpful).

I send email to [email protected] and I've set up forwarding from fred@localcompany to [email protected]

Now, if Fred replies to the message (using his Gmail app), it appears to come from the Gmail account, but of course Fred wants it to appear to have come from his company's domain as he doesn't want to admit to using free Gmail as his corporate email solution!

So I also set up in Gmail "Send Mail As" [email protected] AND I configure it to use localcompany's SMTP server, then the reply from Fred does indeed indicate that it was sent from [email protected]

Comment

Outlook custom domains. Job done.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                      So I also set up in Gmail "Send Mail As" [email protected] AND I configure it to use localcompany's SMTP server, then the reply from Fred does indeed indicate that it was sent from [email protected]
                      What do you mean by "configure [Gmail] to use localcompany's SMTP server"? What is "Gmail" in that scenario - an app, the web interface?

If I send mail from my Android phone it sends as [email protected], not [email protected], so it all works. Same if I use Thunderbird on my PC, and same if I use the web interface.

Comment

Working...
                      X