• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New TV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the upscaling like?

They look amazing in the shop, but how about good do Blu Ray movies or the HD football look?

Comment

Upscaling is pretty good, as I said some HD stuff is amazing, very life like.

Loving it so far.

You tube looks great, 3D is great fun, looking for some proper UHD demos.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I struggle to think of any scenario where I'd spend £5k on a TV, regardless of my bank balance. For me that's "lottery win" level of spending.
        I would say 5K is pushing it for me but I did spend just over 2k on our 55" and I would say definitely worth it. The screens with no edge are just amazing, particularly when wall mounted. Watching a 3d film its like it's a window in the wall, saying that, I could say that about any film really. Completely different experience. Smart option is worth every penny, size of screen is perfect yadda yadda.

I don't think I over paid for the TV, I got the one that offered the best features for me which happened to unfortunately cost 2k. I do think scrimping on TV's if used a lot by the family is very poor economy. My mate bought an LG with border and went down a size and waster £700 IMO.

If I had enough spare money I might have considered it but it would have to have been a lot of spare money!

What I would say though is get a sound system to compliment the TV. Buying a 5k tv and listening to it on the TV sound is just criminal. Check the Samsung surround sounds as they can integrate with the TV (check the models though) for around £250 for a 1kw set up with discreet speakers. I got one and that was money very well spent. Watching a 3D movie on a screen like this with some massive bass is just amazing.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 8 January 2014, 16:33.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I would say 5K is pushing it for me but I did spend just over 2k on our 55" and I would say definitely worth it. The screens with no edge are just amazing, particularly when wall mounted. Watching a 3d film its like it's a window in the wall, saying that, I could say that about any film really. Completely different experience. Smart option is worth every penny, size of screen is perfect yadda yadda.

I don't think I over paid for the TV, I got the one that offered the best features for me which happened to unfortunately cost 2k. I do think scrimping on TV's if used a lot by the family is very poor economy. My mate bought an LG with border and went down a size and waster £700 IMO.

If I had enough spare money I might have considered it but it would have to have been a lot of spare money!

What I would say though is get a sound system to compliment the TV. Buying a 5k tv and listening to it on the TV sound is just criminal. Check the Samsung surround sounds as they can integrate with the TV (check the models though) for around £250 for a 1kw set up with discreet speakers. I got one and that was money very well spent. Watching a 3D movie on a screen like this with some massive bass is just amazing.
          I already have 5.1 surround speakers, and they can now be plugged directly into the TV, which before only gave 2.1. I used them through the PS3 before, now everything is 5.1 Yey!!
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Sure somebody's said it already but who wants an expensive TV when there's rarely anything worth watching?
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

So Scrag is it worth it?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                Sure somebody's said it already but who wants an expensive TV when there's rarely anything worth watching?
                Jeez, tonight was depressing.

Sofas that go up in flames, followed by parents who'd had their kids taken off them.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  So Scrag is it worth it?
                  It's only been 10 days but yes, it is a marked improvement over the 7 year old Full HD TV we had.

Colours are brighter, resolution and upscaling works really well.

Screen mirroring is fun, CCTV and Candy Crush on 65 inches is amusing.

Control is good, a lot of codecs supported so plays stuff that my PS3 wouldn't.

Slightly naffed that I am currently not even able to play any UHD videos, even ones I recorded on my Note 3. Does that make it not fit for purpose? Will need a new One Connect box at some point.

Comment

Does it have lots of fancy gimmicks then or does it focus on being a really really really good TV?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

£5K on a telly? You could have got 10 of these: £550 for an Aussie 4K telly.
                      England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Working...
                      X