• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TV Audio: "Home Cinema kit" or Amp + Speakers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must admit I haven't dabbled with soundbars for the TV, effectively got one for the Desktop but it was a 7.1 and I've only set up the bar and subwoofer

The TV goes through my 5.1 Amp, which has wired in speakers all around as I has sockets installed at suitable points. Even before that, the best thing you could do with a new TV was to connect it to your stereo, no matter how cheap and nasty the stereo was it sounded miles better than the built in speakers.

Comment

But on radio I thought it served a different purpose? e.g. if the DJ whispers and then shouts, the volume is fairly similar and I think that's a good thing. Whereas advertisers just use it to grab your attention.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If you're having problems with the music/speech volume ratio, you'll probably find that increasing the relative volume of the central channel helps a great deal. With true 5.1, the vocals are usually from the central channel and everything else comes out of the satellite speakers.

Might need a bit of experimenting, but that's what I did with my relatively cheap Denon 1910 + Harmon Kardon HKTS 7 setup. Modern LED/LCD TVs don't have the space for anything even approaching decent speakers.

b0redom (in helpful new years mode)
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
          Even before that, the best thing you could do with a new TV was to connect it to your stereo, no matter how cheap and nasty the stereo was it sounded miles better than the built in speakers.
          You don't even need the amp to get an improvement. My first wide screen telly benefited greatly from adding a pair of cheap-but-not-nasty speakers.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Cable to hifi (well mini-HiFi but a decent-ish one) is the current set up. It certainly sounds so much better than the built-in speakers, except for being able to discern vocals unfortunately
            Perhaps something designed for TV is better than a generic amp+speakers after all, since the issue of vocal clarity and volume balance is something many products mention as key features.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Used to have a set of mordaunt shorts front and rear and cambridge audio seperates but sold them and got the Sonos Soundbar and 2 x Sonos PLay 5's, never looked back and best money I have ever spent

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                I have a set of Logitech Z906 on my PC and Z5500 (older) on my TV in the lounge, both 5.1.

I'm not an audiophile so they do a perfectly good job for me.
                I'm don't profess to have the golden ears of an audiophile either but another vote for the Z5500 - it's a cracking unit. Proper big sub on it which some people might find daunting but the sound rocks. Fantastic dynamic range, you can hear the speech clearly at a comfortable volume while the action scenes still shake the room. This unit has been around for years and has loads of positive reviews, you can still get them for under £300 which is a bargain.

Only problem I have is that it only has one optical, one SPDIF and one analogue input. That was fine with my old SPDIF DVD player but I got a new one and I now have two devices which offer optical outputs. I guess there is a way to connect it all to the TV through HDMI and then optical out of the TV which would solve the problem.
                Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                X