• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chromecast

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chromecast

Mate of mine bought me one back from New York.

And it has a lot of potential.

You Tube looks great in FULL HD on my main TV.

My main gripe is that it supports so few video formats.

Allegedly there is a lot of new apps and stuff coming for it over the next year, and presumably some existing ones will be updated to use it too.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Quite interested in it but it's not been officially launched here yet IIRC so even some of the basic stuff might not work yet.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Quite interested in it but it's not been officially launched here yet IIRC so even some of the basic stuff might not work yet.
      Amazon (UK) have them for sale

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Chrom...rds=chromecast

Comment

Indeed, but those are 3rd-party sellers and based on the price they are just importing from the US and putting a markup, like buying Region 1 DVDs

Originally, some apps didn't work here - they're controlled by Google - but I recall reading they had been turning on stuff like Netflix in the UK.

Best to wait for the official launch IMO.

Comment

Only cost me £25 so thought it would be worth it, to have a fiddle with a piece of new and upcoming tech.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

If you have an Android device, check out CheapCast....Its an App which turns your Android phone into a ChromeCast
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              If you have an Android device, check out CheapCast....Its an App which turns your Android phone into a ChromeCast
              And then you have to plug your phone into your TV via HDMI cable?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                And then you have to plug your phone into your TV via HDMI cable?
                You'll need an MHL or Slimport adaptor depending on the Android device.

I use XBMC on a Nexus4 with a Slimport when staying away from home, works well.

If you have a 2nd Android device you can control it via the yatse app which can send content over wifi to the plugged in device just like chromecast... but all content is stolen/free.

...Or you can get XBMC on a cheap android stick or Raspberry Pi and do the same.
                Last edited by gingerjedi; 19 December 2013, 13:26.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  If you have a 2nd Android device you can control it via the yatse app which can send content over wifi to the plugged in device just like chromecast... but all content is stolen/free.
                  XBMC is just a media player though isn't it?

I have an Android dongle thingy. Can I use the above to do what Chromecast does and have it display web pages/you tube video/games controlled from my phone?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

If you have a SmartTV then you can stream wirelessly and don't need HDMI out on the phone
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                    X