• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Xmas tree lights - LED or bulbs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xmas tree lights - LED or bulbs?

I haven't bought any for ages and I thought LED had taken over, but clearly not as both types are out there, LEDs and the little bulbs you have to keep replacing.

What are the pros and cons of each... there must be cons to LEDs?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

the only cons to led is the price. If you can afford it, go ahead with led.
    Led use less power, therefore cooler, less risk of fire, more options, longevity less maintenance etc

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
      the only cons to led is the price. If you can afford it, go ahead with led.
      Led use less power, therefore cooler, less risk of fire, more options, longevity less maintenance etc
      same here, go LED i brought some LED christmas lights a few years back and never had a problem, no blown bulbs and better light, I changed 22 spot light bulbs in my house for LED yes they were £6 each but they don't give off the heat and potentially they should last considerably longer than halogen, although I have had to turn up the heat in the kitchen now

Comment

Some will say LED's are too expensive, but you have to take into account the lifespan which makes it a no brainer, that with the lower power consumption and coolness.

Comment

Presumably if a LED bulb does fail though, you can't replace it on most sets... will one broken bulb make them all go out or not (say if it gets trodden on or something like that)?

Comment

I guess you're looking for excuses to be non-conformist, in this case , however, the case is very clear cut, just buy LED - you're a contractor, you can afford it

Comment

No, I want to know the answer to my question Will breaking one bulb ruin the set?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                No, I want to know the answer to my question Will breaking one bulb ruin the set?
                They don't blow as there is no filament and they are bloody hard to break as they are encased in solid plastic. They will however start to be less bright after about 50,000 hours.

We have had an outdoor LED string on the gutter of the house and there are a couple of LED's out but I suspect the wiring is failing first being coiled and uncoiled for years.

If you are talking about the strings where you can replace each LED 'bulb' rather than the permanent ones then as long as the bulb is in place the rest should stay lit. They will have some kind of shunt in that allows the chain to work even if one bulbs doesn't illuminate. Not so sure about what happens if you remove the bulb though. Some sites say a good quality string will stay lit, others say maybe not.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 17 December 2013, 18:27.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I bought a tree with LED's fitted, the disclaimer stated that when one LED died the rest would and couldn't be replaced. It lasted seven years before the lights went out and was replaced by similar, not bad for a £15 tree that looked better than many three times the price. The configurable controller did some really nice sequencing too.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

LED- cheap to run, safer low voltage (many of the lights are at mains voltage with naff cable).

Not having to play hunt the bulb every year!

we switched years ago and never looked back.

Same with lights, the kitchen has 55watts of lighting instead of 550watts. We leave 2 on 24*7 and it costs ~7.5p / a day. You don't have to change Gu10 halogens every month or after any serious power spike on teh mains.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X