• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Outlook 2010 & IMAP Profiles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outlook 2010 & IMAP Profiles

Can anyone shed some light on the below please as I'm, somewhat, floundering here.

My personal email is a Yahoo account which I access from home via Outlook 2010.

The Outlook profile is a POP3 one - a simple setup which works fine for my needs.

Since yesterday, Outlook has been un-able to retrieve any emails from my Yahoo account.

Some troubleshooting later and I'm no nearer to figuring out what has caused this, as nothing has changed at my end, so am assuming there has been a change at Yahoo's end.

I have a basic free Yahoo email account which, officially, doesn't support POP3 access from email clients like Outlook but, for some reason, I was able to use it in this way.

However, I suspect Yahoo have made some change which now mean I can no longer use Outlook with my account.

Yahoo does support IMAP access from Outlook but I'm not familiar with such profiles and the research I have done still leaves me un-sure whether I can:

1) Download my emails to a local PST file and configure my Outlook profile to delete emails from my Yahoo account once the emails have been downloaded
    I know I can download the emails but can't seem to figure out/find a setting to control whether the emails are subsequently deleted from the Yahoo server

2) If I setup a new Outlook IMAP profile on my laptop I'd ideally like to point it to my existing Outlook POP3 PST file so that my pre-existing emails, folders etc will automatically re-appear
    However, research suggests this may not be possible. Anyone know if this is?

3) When I inevitably change my laptop, I will have to setup a new Outlook IMAP profile on it.
    The easiest thing to then do would be to copy over my existing Outlook IMAP PST file to restore my pre-existing emails, folders etc
    However, this article suggests Outlook IMAP PST's can only be used with the Outlook IMAP profile they were created with. Is this correct?

I wonder if the problem you're experiencing is related to this outage....

FORTUNE -- Is it unacceptable for your e-mail to be inaccessible for one minute? How about 40? What about an hour? Forty hours?

That's about the time that Yahoo expects some of its Mail customers to be without access to the service after a hardware problem in one of the company's data centers flared this week. In a note published this afternoon, Yahoo communications chief Jeff Bonforte explained that the problem first appeared on Monday at 10:27 p.m. PT and has, at the time of this writing, yet to be resolved.
    Yahoo Mail goes down for 40 hours. Is it acceptable? - Fortune Tech

Comment

Cheers fella.

Pretty piss poor of Yahoo - a major outage like this and no mention of it on the webmail login page which would be the most logical place to advise users.

Still not able to download my emails but at least I know what the root cause is now.

For anyone else affected, the service status page for this outage can be found here.

Comment

Working...
      X