• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best material to stuff in plaster screw holes prior to sanding flat and repainting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    That was my first thought, but ISTR from previous uses it is harder than plaster. So when sanded down (by me anyway) would tend leave a bump with the surrounding plaster scoured away.
    I found the same and tried a couple of products but never really got the best finish. Whatever you get is either softer or harder than the surrounding area so have to be super careful when sanding else it leaves a hollow if the filler material is softer or a bump where you sand away the plaster/paint around the filled hole. Also the softer stuff leaves sandpaper marks in it.

Couldn't say which to use as I never managed to get the finish I really wanted.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hmm, it seems like the best approach will be to gently sand round the hole to start with, then apply the polyfilla, then scrape it flat with a metal straight edge, maybe wipe with a damp cloth, leave to harden, and finally even more gently sand it.

Mind you, the toothpaste idea is inspired - and it might make the flat smell mintier and fresher
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Whatever you get is either softer or harder than the surrounding area so have to be super careful when sanding else it leaves a hollow if the filler material is softer or a bump where you sand away the plaster/paint around the filled hole.
        That's why you put the sandpaper on a block of wood.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Ask a builder.
          Then ask your accountant regarding the bill.
          ;-)

Comment

Working...
          X