• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Odd website problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd website problem

Doing a new PHP shopping cart, 1st page accessed sets up a customer MySQL record based on session variable, which is then accessed by the shopping cart when they go to that.

All working fine using a temporary index page called indexx.php, but as soon as I change the name to index.php it seems to be getting a different session variable on going to the shopping cart. If I rename the file to ANYTHING at all but index it's ok!

Not quite sure what's going on at mo' but can't for the life of me why just a name change would make a difference. Is there some reason you can't use sessions on an index page?

cheers
    Last edited by xoggoth; 9 December 2013, 13:56.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Yep. With indexx.php I get a session ID, go to checkout or any shop page and I get the same session ID.

Rename indexx.php to index.php and I get a different session ID on checkout. All the pages start with exactly the same code:

<?php
    session_start();
    $custid = session_id();
    Last edited by xoggoth; 9 December 2013, 20:47.
    bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Yep. With indexx.php I get a session ID, go to checkout or any shop page and I get the same session ID.

Rename indexx.php to index.php and I get a different session ID on checkout. All the pages start with exactly the same code:

<?php
      session_start();
      $custid = session_id();
      Is index.php the default page for the site? If you enter www.mysite.com, does it appear in the querystring? Are you manually entering indexx.php?

How is your session Id stored? Cookies or querystring?

Is your checkout switching to https?

What settings are in your php.ini?
      Last edited by mudskipper; 10 December 2013, 06:36.

Comment

Cheers mudskipper. Not quite sure what a query string is or how you see it and do not have access to PHP.ini with my hosters according to cPanel. Not switching to https.

For the moment I have just changed the home page to home.php using DirectoryIndex and Redirect 301 in htaccess. That does solve the problem but its a crappy solution.
        bloggoth

Comment

querystring - you'd see something like www. mysite.com?somestuff in the address bar.

I assume you have a virtual server and I'd be batting this problem to the hosting company. A (very quiet) bell is ringing but can't put my finger on it.
          At least you have a solution of sorts.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Thought I had but then found my addon domain index pages were being redirected. Putting htaccess in those did not seem to work. Can't find any decent solutions at all.
            bloggoth

Comment

Working...
            X