• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oracle DBA Self-training resources?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oracle DBA Self-training resources?

The clue is in the title, dusting off my PL/SQL in the current role, and thought I'd strengthen up my DBA skills in my free evenings, with a possible long term aim of certification. There's a forest of books and courses out there, can anyone recommend any good materials? Cheaper the better though there's a budget if there's something worth paying for...

Is there a 'Bible'?

Cheers,

Phil.
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    The clue is in the title, dusting off my PL/SQL in the current role, and thought I'd strengthen up my DBA skills in my free evenings, with a possible long term aim of certification. There's a forest of books and courses out there, can anyone recommend any good materials? Cheaper the better though there's a budget if there's something worth paying for...

Is there a 'Bible'?

Cheers,

Phil.
    Sun X-series or T-series boxes, X4600-M2 or X4540 or T5220 - two better, build Solaris/Linux whatever (Solaris preferred on T-series) RAC, ASM, raw disks, the sort of thing you could do with VM's on a laptop if you are insane, practise on that.

Deductible too.

Comment

Question - why bother? Unless you are a DBA with a whole range of experience, it's not going to bring any more work - would you trust someone with no experience to administer your production system? All the certification shows is that you can pass the exam (which you can do if you have a decent memory and access to ActualTests) - bear in mind that to get the certification you also need to have completed a hands-on training course, which isn't going to be cheap.

I have an OCP DBA qualification, and all it means is that people looking for a SQL Server DBA email me about "ideal" roles...

Is there a 'Bible'?
      Personally, I'd avoid anything by Don Burleson, but that's just my bias.

You may be better off looking at extending the PL/SQL into bigger areas - performance tuning, for example. For things like that, anything by Jonathan Lewis or by Tom Kyte are great starting points. I don't know whether he is currently open to questions, but Tom Kyte regularly allows you to ask his advice via his asktom website.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Question - why bother? Unless you are a DBA with a whole range of experience, it's not going to bring any more work - would you trust someone with no experience to administer your production system?
        Yeah - valid point. Mainly out of interest, and because I'm sometimes called upon to do stuff that lies somewhere between Developer and DBA role, performance tuning being a good example of where knowing about indexing and EXPLAIN PLAN will get you so far but understanding what's going on under the covers takes you further. And the guy who does administer your production system at one time had training but no experience... and I disagree to some extent, a DBA-certified developer has to be a better prospect than a pure developer for some roles ...

Comment

Stek - hardware? ... eeeeeugh!

Thanks, both.

Comment

Yeah - valid point. Mainly out of interest, and because I'm sometimes called upon to do stuff that lies somewhere between Developer and DBA role, performance tuning being a good example of where knowing about indexing and EXPLAIN PLAN will get you so far but understanding what's going on under the covers takes you further.
            If it's about the knowledge, then have a look at the authors I mentioned above - Tom Kyte and Jon Lewis. It's also worth going to things like the UKOUG conferences where people like that are likely to be presenting, just to learn by osmosis.

Oracle Press or someone similar may even do a DBA certification manual, but as I said, you won't get the certification without doing the training at an approved Oracle training centre, because there is a hands-on component.

And the guy who does administer your production system at one time had training but no experience...
            Generally provided by working for a company that did have DBAs and shadowing them for free. If that's something you want to do, then great.

and I disagree to some extent, a DBA-certified developer has to be a better prospect than a pure developer for some roles ...
            For some roles, possibly. But those are pretty rare. For example, if I were looking at a big performance-tuning problem, I'd be inclined to go to a niche consultancy that I know rather than the contract market. The chances of you finding a role that is looking for a developer with DBA skills, which is paying enough to recoup those training expenses is anorexic.

FWIW, I'm a developer with a DBA OCP (and some other pieces of paper). If you are after the knowledge, then go for the books, but personally I wouldn't think it's worth getting the certification. If you want to spend money to go into performance tuning (for example), you'd be better off going to a Jonathan Lewis seminar (which isn't cheap!) and getting the handouts and the knowledge from there.
            I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Just been through my list of Oracle books - the DBA related ones seem to be:
              • Expert Oracle Practices
              • Expert Oracle 9i Database Administration
              • Expert Oracle 10g Database Administration
              • Expert Oracle 11g Database Administration
              • Troubleshooting Oracle Performance
              • Beginning Oracle Database 11g Administration: From Novice to Professional
              • Oracle Essentials: Oracle Database 10g
              • Oracle Essentials: Oracle Database 11g
              • Pro Oracle Database 11g Administration
              • Oracle Database 10g Insider Solutions
              • Expert Oracle Database Architecture: 9i and 10g Programming Techniques and Solutions
              • Expert Oracle Database Architecture: Oracle Database Programming 9i, 10g, and 11g Techniques and Solutions 2nd Edition
              • Cost-Based Oracle Fundamentals: V. 1
              • Oracle Database 11g the Complete Reference
              • Oracle Applications DBA Field Guide
              • Oracle DBA Checklists Pocket Reference
              • Oracle Performance Tuning and Optimization

The ones I've highlighted are what I'd consider to be the best ones.

A quick search on Oracle will also give you books which are targeting the OCP / OCA qualifications.

Comment

Thanks again, DD. Will investigate.

Comment

If your MBCS then you get access to books24x7 website for free.
                  Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Some of those that DD recommended are free for download here

Comment

Working...
                    X