• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to clean a filthy mouse?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to clean a filthy mouse?

I've got a nice MS mouse which is probably 5 years old, and while it works great, 8+ hours' use a day has left it really quite disgustingly dirty. Build-ups of nasty crud, etc. I can scrape it off with a finger nail but it doesn't get it all.

What is a good way to clean the thing without damaging either the plastic body or the electrics inside?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I've got a nice MS mouse which is probably 5 years old, and while it works great, 8+ hours' use a day has left it really quite disgustingly dirty. Build-ups of nasty crud, etc. I can scrape it off with a finger nail but it doesn't get it all.

What is a good way to clean the thing without damaging either the plastic body or the electrics inside?
    If it's one of the 5 button Intellimouse ones then they can be taken apart very easily and given a good clean inside and out. The "feet" are only glued on and peel off easily, the glue stays sticky so they go back on again afterwards. Screws underneath them hold the body together. Take them out and the case splits open and one more screw holds the circuit board in place. Once thats out of the way the whole thing scan be cleaned down with warm soapy water. Clean and dry thoroughly, reassemble, and away you go.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

It's a Wireless Laser Mouse 5000. Not sure if that's the same basic internals but on a cursory inspection, the little feet seem quite well attached.

Hmm, Googling turned up this: Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 and 5000 Cleaning - iFixit

Which goes on about special torx anti-tamper screws. Maybe I need to clean without taking apart... what can I safely use? Some special alcoholic solvant?

Comment

Get a can of Airspray from a support monkey.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          It's a Wireless Laser Mouse 5000. Not sure if that's the same basic internals but on a cursory inspection, the little feet seem quite well attached.

Hmm, Googling turned up this: Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 and 5000 Cleaning - iFixit

Which goes on about special torx anti-tamper screws. Maybe I need to clean without taking apart... what can I safely use? Some special alcoholic solvant?
          Isopropyl alcohol. You can use nail polish remover as long as it's not the kind with added "nail conditioners" or moisturisers in it. They get left behind when the iso-prop evaporates. You can get it in cheapo pound shops and such.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Isopropyl alcohol. You can use nail polish remover as long as it's not the kind with added "nail conditioners" or moisturisers in it. They get left behind when the iso-prop evaporates. You can get it in cheapo pound shops and such.
            I get isopropyl alcohol from my local chemist's shop.

Much much cheaper than the tiny bottles of "computer cleaner" you get in other places.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
              Get a can of Airspray from a support monkey.
              I don't have any airspray I use Gel

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                I don't have any airspray I use Gel
                Your an agent now?

Comment

Just buy a new mouse.
                  England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
                    Just buy a new mouse.
                    I should have prefaced my question with "this is Technical, no stupid replies"

Comment

Working...
                    X