• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Java Platform Any Good?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you've got experience with M$ and you'll be the one to tech architecture of the startup, it'd be silly not to choose m$. I wouldn't but you should.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
      if we were to deploy a on premise solution, the customer has to pay the licencing costs for the OS, CALS and possibly the database (knowing MS there'll be other bits too).
      CALs are often misunderstood. If these medium to large companies already have Win clients and Win servers. They already have to have a CAL to connect to standard windows features like file servers, print servers, IIS, etc. If this is a public website and the users are the general public then you would need a special license for that.

OS costs are justified IMO. You want bugfix support and regular and critical security hotfixes? buy commercial software. If not, use open source.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
        Oh I mostly agree .Net is very decent - and it performs well too. While I can get 3 years of bits free with BizSpark, if we were to deploy a on premise solution, the customer has to pay the licencing costs for the OS, CALS and possibly the database (knowing MS there'll be other bits too). And that's the part we're trying to cut down on. Unless there is a way to mitigate that?

I agree, this is new territory for me. I did mention it and I am concerned about that...which is why I'm seeking information and advice myself! Not the best is it.

I have played a little with JAVA stuff before with Alfresco. Was running it on Apache Tomcat. Seemed quite decent and actually quite easy to install on CentOS.
        but that is just demonstrating your lack of knowledge. Alfresco is a document management system (and from prior experience anyone who calls it a content management system should be shot) .... You were really programming against Tomcat...

And if you are selling to large corporates you need to sell them something they can support. That means you need to support Sql server and oracle as databases as many companies have global licences for 1 or other but not both

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
        CALs are often misunderstood. If these medium to large companies already have Win clients and Win servers. They already have to have a CAL to connect to standard windows features like file servers, print servers, IIS, etc. If this is a public website and the users are the general public then you would need a special license for that.

OS costs are justified IMO. You want bugfix support and regular and critical security hotfixes? buy commercial software. If not, use open source.
        You also ignore companies who have a policy of not supporting Open Source as support isn't available. Some then allow Red Hat but not Ubuntu..........

To be honest a Microsoft server licence fee is cheaper than battling internal (possibly insane) compliance rules.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I once built a server with MS Server on it and our client's IT bods wouldn't accept it as they saw it as a vulnerability. So there I was with a server under my desk which my client was using to store their data on. All because their IT bods were MS haters.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            but that is just demonstrating your lack of knowledge. Alfresco is a document management system (and from prior experience anyone who calls it a content management system should be shot) .... You were really programming against Tomcat...
            I never said it was a content management system!

And if you are selling to large corporates you need to sell them something they can support. That means you need to support Sql server and oracle as databases as many companies have global licences for 1 or other but not both
            see above comment about support being a revenue stream.

You also ignore companies who have a policy of not supporting Open Source as support isn't available. Some then allow Red Hat but not Ubuntu..........

To be honest a Microsoft server licence fee is cheaper than battling internal (possibly insane) compliance rules.
            Depends...if the client doesn't want to pay MS a red penny more or not.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

MS doing enterprise generally gets met with a good bit of derision and some of it is justified.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                MS doing enterprise generally gets met with a good bit of derision and some of it is justified.
                Which bits are justified?

Comment

Its exponents tend to be ex VB developers and carry forward its sins.

Kind of like C developers always write tulipe java code but there are far less of them around.

Comment

Django is extremely good, and it means you/the developers get to work in Python, which is much better than working with PHP or Java.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      Django is extremely good, and it means you/the developers get to work in Python, which is much better than working with PHP or Java.
                      And much faster than Java. To be honest its probably faster to create your own language than program in Java. That's the reason languages such as Ruby appeared..
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X