• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I want to buy a new laptop but...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another vote for Lenovo

e.g. my new T430 runs Win7 fine

Comment

If you're buying a new laptop today you'd be silly not to get a touchscreen, unless you're looking for a very cheap new laptop.
      And if you're getting a touchscreen, then you really should have Win 8.1 so that you can use it properly.

If you really want to use Win 7 I should point out that your downgrade rights are provided by Microsoft, not the hardware vendor. Whether they give you the pre-installed Win7 software or DVD media and keys are another matter.

I've just got my Lenovo X1 carbon touch laptop and upgraded it from Win8 to 8.1. I'm actually getting quite fond of it. From the little experience I had of using 8, I much prefer 8.1 and the desktop is a lot more like Win 7 was, other than the obvious metro style start menu (but that's what your touch screen is for).

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
        If you're buying a new laptop today you'd be silly not to get a touchscreen
        Why?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
          Why?
          Go down to PC world and compare how many laptop models have touch vs non-touch screens. I think its at least 50% now and has gained enough momentum to become a new standard. Its an obvious hardware and software evolution.

Plus if he decides to upgrade to Win 8.1 later, he'd want a touchscreen to get the full benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            Go down to PC world and compare how many laptop models have touch vs non-touch screens. I think its at least 50% now and has gained enough momentum to become a new standard. Its an obvious hardware and software evolution.

Plus if he decides to upgrade to Win 8.1 later, he'd want a touchscreen to get the full benefit.
            I'm still not understanding why it would be silly to get a non-touch screen laptop. Just because 50% have them doesn't explain why it would be silly to go for a conventional screen instead.
            I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Is it REALLY up to 50%? I thought it was still a rarity. I did predict W8 might encourage touchscreens to become commonwhen it was pre-launch but thought I had been proved wrong.
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Is it REALLY up to 50%? I thought it was still a rarity. I did predict W8 might encourage touchscreens to become commonwhen it was pre-launch but thought I had been proved wrong.
                Well as I have been shopping for laptops this year I've made quite a few visits to various electronic stores, and it certainly seems that way (PCW, Currys, JLewis). Not that the models on display represent the full number of laptop models available over the internet.

I think its equally the other way around. Touchscreen hardware is needed to really encourage some people to use W8, myself included. IMO the move to Win8 and touchscreens should happen at the same time. My old non-touch laptop (5 years old) remained on Win7 for that reason.

Comment

[Utopia Computers]

Had a look at the site and it looks really good - out of interest what was your base model?
                  Also, is the keyboard OK?

Comment

Thanks all, bought a Lenovo thingie which is fine. About to blitz it and install 7 but got a recovery partition and USB drive if it messes up.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                      Having a hard time finding anything that doesn't have Windows 8 installed?
                      Novatech.
                      <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Working...
                      X