• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tracing permissions on windows 7?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tracing permissions on windows 7?

I have sage50 installed on a windows 7 PC. From my windows account, I'm unable to make any bookings (I click on "enter bookings" and nothing happens). From another windows account, there is no problem.

I think it might be permissions, but I've no clue how to check. Is there a trace that can be switched on to see what files are checked and what the results of the permission check are?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I have sage50 installed on a windows 7 PC. From my windows account, I'm unable to make any bookings (I click on "enter bookings" and nothing happens). From another windows account, there is no problem.

I think it might be permissions, but I've no clue how to check. Is there a trace that can be switched on to see what files are checked and what the results of the permission check are?
    Could it be paths? Environment variables differing between the two accounts?

Comment

Could be I suppose - I'll check.

What happened was the flaky crappy software that it is crashed while making a booking. Rebooted, and couldn't make any postings. Even re-installed the software, but couldn't make bookings. Tried on another account - bingo, it worked. So my suspicion is that it's something windowsy, so there's no point in complaining to Sage.

Comment

With proper software it's su53.

Comment

Mark Russovich & Bryce Cogswell - sysinternals wrote a few tools to do this.

now part of M$soft. still free.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Why dont you renamed the current problematic profile and create a new windows profile (as you say the app crashed) for the current profile that is not working and amend any path variables.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              With proper software it's su53.
              No, no. With proper software it's the Automatic Role Builder, which I wrote.
              Originally posted by Boney M View Post
              Why dont you renamed the current problematic profile and create a new windows profile (as you say the app crashed) for the current profile that is not working and amend any path variables.
              Because while I understand individual words and the odd phrase you've used, on the whole I've no idea what you're saying to me.
              Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Mark Russovich & Bryce Cogswell - sysinternals wrote a few tools to do this.

now part of M$soft. still free.
              Can you give me a hint about the name of those tools? I stopped doing windowy admin stuff around the time of the release of windows 95...

I have discovered that if I run Sage as administrator, it works fine. But while it's a workaround, it's not the solution I want.

Comment

LMGTFY

Process Explorer

DiskMon for Windows

Process Monitor
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I've got process explorer. Eventually I found the process monitor. Doesn't show anything untoward so far. Maybe I don't understand how to use it well enough.

It's really quite odd. I've reinstalled the software, I've exported and reimported the data, and it makes no difference. If I launch from my account "as administrator" it works. If I change my account to an administrator account, it doesn't.

Comment

Hi NAT, its been a while since I worked on Sage. Find out where the data files are kept. If they have been installed in a profile that could cause issues. Sage data should either be in C:\Program Files or c:\sage. That is where the permissions issue will be.

Lastly depending on the newness of the software some sage installations required some registry settings to be tweaked (10 plus years ago if I remember).

If you can tell me the install path to the data I'll see what else I can find out.
                    SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Working...
                    X