• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommend me a phablet and stereo Bluetooth headset

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend me a phablet and stereo Bluetooth headset

Clientco have given me a SIM card for business use but no phone. I have an old phone I can use but I was thinking about getting a tablet that voice calling capability and a bluetooth headset. Any recommendations? I guess the Asus Padphone/Fonepad or the new Sony experia Z ultimate are the obvious choices.

The headset must be good for music but also capable of using for voice calls. If it could also support a wired connection, that would be great

BTW, please don't tell me that I'll be open to ear infections if I don't buy an apple product

Comment

Are there any headsets available that I good use for voice calls, Lync and also for streaming music?

Comment

Don't want to be rude but you do really need it? What is going to happen when you finish that gig and he takes his SIM back.

You sure you are not buying something just for the sake of it?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Don't want to be rude but you do really need it? What is going to happen when you finish that gig and he takes his SIM back.

You sure you are not buying something just for the sake of it?
          It's certainly not mission critical no but at the moment I'm using a crappy phone with a usless battery.

When the gig finishes I can still use it for watching sky go etc. It would be a tablet after all (but you can probably get a better one without the voice calls)

Alternatively I could just but a £10 phone out of Tesco.

It would also be more IR35 compliant if I have to but equipment to do the job

(BTW, the asus 7" jobby is £169 so it's hardly a major expense

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
            It's certainly not mission critical no but at the moment I'm using a crappy phone with a usless battery.

When the gig finishes I can still use it for watching sky go etc. It would be a tablet after all (but you can probably get a better one without the voice calls)

Alternatively I could just but a £10 phone out of Tesco.

It would also be more IR35 compliant if I have to but equipment to do the job

(BTW, the asus 7" jobby is £169 so it's hardly a major expense
            Forget IR35 as an issue it is so insignificant it isn't worth considering.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That wasn't my main motivation. I think it is a valid point though. For the same reason, I show any company owned equipment on my invoices as non chargeable

Comment

If you don't want to go the Apple route then the Google Nexus 7 is a very nice Android device. If you plan on watching films or storing a lot of music etc I would go for the 32gb version as opposed to the 16gb as although they are raping you for cheap memory, the internal memory is not expandable. The new 32gb version is around £239 I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardgraft View Post
                  If you don't want to go the Apple route then the Google Nexus 7 is a very nice Android device. If you plan on watching films or storing a lot of music etc I would go for the 32gb version as opposed to the 16gb as although they are raping you for cheap memory, the internal memory is not expandable. The new 32gb version is around £239 I believe.
                  You're looking at £299 for one that takes a SIM, though, and even then I'm not sure that you can make phone calls on it.

Edit - no, you can't, unless you are using VOIP
                  Last edited by DirtyDog; 4 October 2013, 15:04.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                    You're looking at £299 for one that takes a SIM, though, and even then I'm not sure that you can make phone calls on it.

Edit - no, you can't, unless you are using VOIP
                    No you need the asus one or the one that docks into a crappy 10" tablet or the new sony experia ultra I think

Comment

Working...
                    X