• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MS Access

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Access

I have an Access Table with a field listing files, and another field listing users. I want to split the table into multiple tables so Ican set up many to many relationships between them. The idea being that a file has many users and a user has many files.

Is this a simple thing to? I am no access expert.
    SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Originally posted by Netraider View Post
    I have an Access Table with a field listing files, and another field listing users. I want to split the table into multiple tables so Ican set up many to many relationships between them. The idea being that a file has many users and a user has many files.

Is this a simple thing to? I am no access expert.
    Very simple - copy one column of your table, click create new table then paste. You'll need to add a primary key so add another column "ID" or whatever and set that to autonumber. Same for users and then create a new table defining the relationships

Comment

Easy peasy. I'm free next Thursday. £400.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Easy peasy. I'm free next Thursday. £400.
        Nah. Sounds like a few hours 1 evening. Give me a spec and I'll have it done tomorrow.

Just off to elance to find someone....
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Nah. Sounds like a few hours 1 evening. Give me a spec and I'll have it done tomorrow.

Just off to elance to find someone....
          Creating tables and moving data, easy.

Presumably something is querying the tables - forms/reports....?

Comment

Presumably you have multiple entries per user and multiple entries per file in the existing table and you want the new tables to have one entry per user and one per file?

I have no idea how to use access, can you migrate it to SQL express while you are at it?
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

you can do it all in access (it can be the same as in excel) but you may be more at home in excel

Creating a new Access database from an Excel spreadsheet - Access - Office.com

manipulate in excel and copy / export to access.

agree if more than a couple users using it go SQL!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
              X