• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This computer is not running genuine Windows.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This computer is not running genuine Windows.

So says my Windows 7 desktop PC. And unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a "Yes it ******* is!" option on the dialog. And before anyone says it, this is actually running a retail boxed (not OEM) copy I bought direct from MS. So what I want to do is find a Microsoft employee, punch him repeatedly whilst shoving the invoice in his face and demand a grovelling apology for calling me a software pirate. But failing that, I'd be happy to just fix it.

Does anyone know how this stuff works? Their website says something vague about malware or activation exploit software, but certainly MSE doesn't find anything. I tried entering the code again and reactivating, which says it works, but the message keeps coming back. Nothing's stopped working yet, but I think I now won't get updates, which obviously I want.

Does the message suggest somebody else has nicked the activation code I'm using?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    So says my Windows 7 desktop PC. And unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a "Yes it ******* is!" option on the dialog. And before anyone says it, this is actually running a retail boxed (not OEM) copy I bought direct from MS. So what I want to do is find a Microsoft employee, punch him repeatedly whilst shoving the invoice in his face and demand a grovelling apology for calling me a software pirate. But failing that, I'd be happy to just fix it.

Does anyone know how this stuff works? Their website says something vague about malware or activation exploit software, but certainly MSE doesn't find anything. I tried entering the code again and reactivating, which says it works, but the message keeps coming back. Nothing's stopped working yet, but I think I now won't get updates, which obviously I want.

Does the message suggest somebody else has nicked the activation code I'm using?
    Have you changed your hardware configuration?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      I've got mine in a new machine with only the original hard disc which is now used as a data disc due to the addition of an SSD for a boot disc and still it activated fine (But that was a full pro version not an OEM)

I would contact MS because I it sounds like either a virus or a hooky retail copy (they do exist due to good imitation packaging)

As it shouldn't be the latter, it's most likely a virus, I'd first wipe the machine, reinstall and try activating again

If that fails contact Microsoft about it
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Uninstall MS update KB971033.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          I did replace a hard disk; one half of a mirrored set a couple of months ago. Nothing went wrong then, and even if it had I'd expect to have to activate again.

I bought this copy when W7 was released - 2 years ago? So if there were anything dodgy about it, surely it would have complained before now.

Comment

Have you called Microsoft?
            I know this might be shocking news.. but they might actually be able to help a customer who has a problem with one of their products
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

I did replace a hard disk; one half of a mirrored set a couple of months ago. Nothing went wrong then, and even if it had I'd expect to have to activate again.

I bought this copy when W7 was released - 2 years ago? So if there were anything dodgy about it, surely it would have complained before now.
              Lots of people complaining about the message after changing hard disks.

Possible solution here... "Not running genuine Windows" error message after recovery. | Knowledge Base

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
                Uninstall MS update KB971033.
                Then find, download and run;

removewat 2.2.6

Did just that yesterday with a Win7 install that actually was genuine. Honest.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                  Then find, download and run;

removewat 2.2.6

Did just that yesterday with a Win7 install that actually was genuine. Honest.
                  And you still get windows updates? I tried the uninstall, rebooted, now windows update tells me the service isn't running.

To be fair, I switched off and went to bed at that point so maybe it's okay.

Comment

And you still get windows updates? I tried the uninstall, rebooted, now windows update tells me the service isn't running.

To be fair, I switched off and went to bed at that point so maybe it's okay.
                    No problems with updates however I changed the settings so that I get notified but choose what updates to install. If KB971033 appears on the list I uncheck it (and hide it), then carry on installing the other updates.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X