• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ISP recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISP recommendations

I've been using Zen on a recommendation from here for about 7 years and very happy, but have hit a snag. I am giving up live telly and streaming everything (combination of netflix and iplayer, 4oD etc) and I am hitting my 20GB download limit. I guess it's a good time to upgrade to fibre, but the cost of 76mb broadband with Zen is quite a bit more, plus installation and plus a new router needed and it's still capped at - although it's 100GB.

I cheered when I moved my phone line to Zen because I loathe BT for all the bad service they've given in the past.

My Zen internet drops about twice a day and they aren't keen to sort it because although in theory we are free of BT, they are scared of BT charging them a fortune.

BT on the other hand, are offering unlimited fibre and as far as I can see, it doesn't cost anything in hardware, but I'd be stuck with them for a minimum of 12 months no matter how crap they are.

I could go Virgin, but have seen some real horror stories about their speeds, faults and lack of service and they need 10 days to do the cabling.

Anyone got a good recommendation?

I've been with Sky for about 5 years now, first ADSL and then Fibre.

The service has been good to the point of invisibility the whole time

The switch over from ADSL to Fibre was painless.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

One thing to consider when switching ISPs now is the likes of BT/Sky/Virgin won't let you switch without also switching your landline too. For example, although it might look like you're getting a better deal on the face of it with say BT over Sky, when you factor in landline rental and calls you might find Sky much cheaper.

Comment

I can't see the attraction of having a landline these days, I'd only use it redirect to my mobile anyway
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I'm with Zen for FTTC, expensive but you get the quality you pay for.

GE

Comment

Been with Virgin since 2000, never missed a beat, twice i cut through the cable outside my house and twice they fixed it for nothing, once it dropped for an hour, had a new modem once because the old NTL one failed and once the TV was breaking up and turned out to be the router in the box up the road, always got through and next day engineer service.

maybe it depends where you live as to the service you get

Comment

Was with O2 and now Sky, both ADSL. Unlimited data so no need for fibre, ADSL is fine for a couple of devices on Netflix at the same time.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I was with Zen ADSL for ages, and it was great, but I started to wonder why I was paying 5 times more than Plusnet for what's basically the same thing. So I switched to plusnet, and can't complain. It's slower on the speed tests, but in reality that doesn't make much difference.

I think all the ISPs will want a 12 or 18 month minimum contract for FTTC, because that's what BT force on them. Which is what's put me off, when I could have had it 2 years ago. And you'll need a new router one way or another.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Was with O2 and now Sky, both ADSL. Unlimited data so no need for fibre, ADSL is fine for a couple of devices on Netflix at the same time.
                  +1 for Sky Unlimited as well, if download speed is decent enough, no need for fibre and v cheap

Comment

I'm with plusnet, does get busy at night but its fairly reliable (netgear router isn't) and can't complain about the service they do nag BT for you.

I know BT own them, but they act as a good filter for their owners incompetence.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X