• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ISP recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    From the right hand side of your link.

The law is clear, the BBC just wished it reflected current reality and technology rather than old technical limitations....

But if the BBC wished to prove a point they could probably get a judge to agree that a computer able to run flash with an internet connection = need to have TV licence...
    That's my point - it's fine for now but it's only a matter of time (or perhaps not with the BBC) before the legislation is updated to reflect how people actually watch TV these days.

Comment

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.
      TV Licensing - How to tell us you don't watch TV
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I use Sky to stream Sky sports by various methods, makes me smile how they are complicit in my activities.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          From the right hand side of your link.

The law is clear, the BBC just wished it reflected current reality and technology rather than old technical limitations....

But if the BBC wished to prove a point they could probably get a judge to agree that a computer able to run flash with an internet connection = need to have TV licence...
          On the substantive point, you may be right as many Judges are ignorant pillocks, however I doubt they could make that stick.

The law says you need to a licence to watch live broadcast stuff. I don't, so I don't need a licence. I don't need a driving licence to own a car, don't need a PADI licence to own tanks and a regulator, I don't need a telly licence to watch streamed telly.

They could try and change it to cover flash etc, but there's no way they have a hope of enforcing it, even if they did.

I'm sick of paying for the BBC to do stuff I don't want and don't approve of.

Comment

Working...
          X