• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Learning Photoshop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning Photoshop

I have decided to bite the bullet and spend next week entirely engaged on the pursuit of learning this package. My usual technique of trying to find a youtube video on what I want to do and trying to get a result without understanding anything only produces crap and takes ages.

Anyone know of a decent learning resource that lends towards digital design which is where I will be using it rather than photography? Seems to be thousands and thousands online, I think I have to go through the concepts first before I even start the app.

Cheers

My Damn Channel » Season 1 » You Suck At Photoshop #1: Distort, Warp and Layer Effects
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If you don't have an artisitic flair and background it will always look like the output of a techno geek.

I would leave this aspect of IT to arty farty types. If you can count in binary, Photoshop isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        If you don't have an artisitic flair and background it will always look like the output of a techno geek.

I would leave this aspect of IT to arty farty types. If you can count in binary, Photoshop isn't for you.
        This ^^

I tried learning it and not having anything to apply my learning to I didn't take it in and keep the knowledge. Everytime I go back to it I have to play to try remember or hit google for tips on exactly what I am doing.

If you have something you need to do, as long as it isn't major, you will find a guide on it on google somewhere. Much easier to know what you want to do then learn how to do that rather than learn the whole package out of interest IMO.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The tutorials on lynda.com are pretty easy to follow, also get a decent book on how to use photoshop as nothing beats having dead wood in your hand

Depending on what you want to do you might want to learn a package that does vector drawing bet than Photoshop, something like Illustrator or Freehand and also get some basic html knowledge using something easy to pickup like Dreamweaver
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
            The tutorials on lynda.com are pretty easy to follow, also get a decent book on how to use photoshop as nothing beats having dead wood in your hand
            I would have thought having hard wood in your hand would have been much better
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I would have thought having hard wood in your hand would have been much better
              Reminds me of that old Doris Day quote, 'a hard man is good to find'.

I'll check out the links, cheers. Might go and peruse some books in town tomorrow, I believe there is still a book shop left.

I'm quite artistic I think, I used to be the manager in a predominantly design company, I have a range of twitter bootstrap built sites that look quite good on their own but they need some headers and image content that look decent.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Everytime I go back to it I have to play to try remember or hit google for tips on exactly what I am doing.

If you have something you need to do, as long as it isn't major, you will find a guide on it on google somewhere. Much easier to know what you want to do then learn how to do that rather than learn the whole package out of interest IMO.
                Exactly, I'd rate myself as quite experienced on the photographic side but often get into a tangle and have to Google it. Come to think of it, that applies to databases as well

Comment

Ive been working with Photoshop for over 14 years and the way i train my team is to get them to exactly replicate something theyve seen online. Websites are the easiest so i'd start there.

Comment

Working...
                  X