• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SSD vs HD?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    Did you do any performance testing before striping the disks together. I'd be surprised if there was much of a performance increase in doing so. The onboard RAID controllers are usually pretty rubbish compared to proper battery backed hardware controllers.
    Just read this Toms hardware article and it seems there are mixed benchmark results depending on usage but their conclusion is go for 1 SSD. Oh well. :-)
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Don't trust valueable data to be stored safely on SSD - make sure you do backups onto magnetic disks, or better offside kept optical storage (or tape).

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
        128GB SSD or 1TB HD for someone who does coding?
        I'd ask the person that does the coding. They'll know the answer.

Comment

All the devs on my last project had a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD in their dev laptops.

I have one in mine and I can't fault it.

Comment

Originally posted by leapFrog View Post
            I'd ask the person that does the coding. They'll know the answer.
            I don't see why they would/should.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I upgraded my development laptop with a 128GB SSD. To be honest, I didn't think it made all that much of a difference over the performance with a HDD. I think if you have plenty of RAM, the effect of the faster disk is largely hidden, but obviously it depends what you're doing. Where I notice the SSD speed most is if I delete lots of files.

It did make it eerily quiet though.

I think the reliability is a bit of an old wives tale. And if you're keeping important data in one place you're too stupid to own a computer.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

250GB Samsung Evo with RAPID software installed and lots of RAM.
                You'll break 100k IOPS and 1GB write easily, just make sure you have a backup power source...

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  I upgraded my development laptop with a 128GB SSD. To be honest, I didn't think it made all that much of a difference over the performance with a HDD. I think if you have plenty of RAM, the effect of the faster disk is largely hidden, but obviously it depends what you're doing. Where I notice the SSD speed most is if I delete lots of files.

It did make it eerily quiet though.

I think the reliability is a bit of an old wives tale. And if you're keeping important data in one place you're too stupid to own a computer.
                  Agree that ramping up RAM to the limit sweetens the experience more than having a limited capacity SSD. 128GB is hardly enough to run both Windows and Ubuntu.

Shame that modern ultrabooks are normally limited to 4GB.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    I upgraded my development laptop with a 128GB SSD. To be honest, I didn't think it made all that much of a difference over the performance with a HDD.
                    Not for posting on CUK it doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      I don't see why they would/should.
                      Because the person that does coding can look at the hardware they are using and report back to the original poster who asked the question

128GB SSD or 1TB HD for someone who does coding?
                      whether they are using a HDD or an SSD.

Comment

Working...
                      X