• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Price of RAM

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price of RAM

I'm looking at building a hackintosh desktop (I can't justify a new computer with my wife but I could hide the components in a way my wife wouldn't notice).

So I went component shopping yesterday and discovered that I can now only buy 8gb of DDR3 ram for £50. Last November I got 16gb for the same money. Yet ram has always (for the last 25 years) got cheaper year on year. What's changed?
    Last edited by eek; 22 August 2013, 10:55.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

PC Memory Prices Set to Continue Growing

Comment

I haven't looked for a while, but you're right, prices do seem to have jumped since I last bought any.

Not to £100 for 8GB though, unless you're looking at something special.

This cost me £75 in January of this year, and is now over £120:

GSkill 16GB Ripjaws X

Comment

There are only 2 companies now that make it (more or less), they have been losing money all these years so now is the time to make up for decades of losses...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          I'm looking at building a hackintosh desktop (I can't justify a new computer with my wife but I could hide the components in a way my wife wouldn't notice).

So I went component shopping yesterday and discovered that I can now only buy 8gb of DDR3 ram for £100. Last November I got 16gb for the same money. Yet ram has always (for the last 25 years) got cheaper year on year. What's changed?
          Where are you shopping? Unbuffered ECC DDR3 is £50 / 8GB from crucial.

DDR3 upgrades from Crucial.com
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Where are you shopping? Unbuffered ECC DDR3 is £50 / 8GB from crucial.

DDR3 upgrades from Crucial.com
            Check my edit. It was 16gb of corsair for £50. That would now cost me £100

Comment

I'm still waiting for MRAM to become mainstream. I was told at university 5 years ago that it would be out soon.....

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

So I went component shopping yesterday and discovered that I can now only buy 8gb of DDR3 ram for £50. Last November I got 16gb for the same money. Yet ram has always (for the last 25 years) got cheaper year on year. What's changed?
                Get some used ones from CUK (uk.webuy.com). Or eBay!
                I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Remember when RAM was buggered as soon as you touched it without the anti-static strap?

Now I've got loads that's been chucked about and generally disrespected yet it still works...

Comment

Originally posted by tranceporter View Post
                    Get some used ones from CUK (uk.webuy.com). Or eBay!
                    cheers got the last 16gb set from CUK (£50 all in)

Comment

Working...
                    X