• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Downgrading OEM Windows 8 to 7: Anyone done it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You won't boot unsigned stuff on such BIOS unless that is turned off
    That's not entirely true any more.

Linux Foundation Releases UEFI Secure Boot System

The Linux Foundation proudly announced a few hours ago, February 8, that they have officially unleashed the highly anticipated UEFI secure boot system for all Linux distributions, courtesy of the Microsoft Corporation.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      That's not entirely true any more.

Linux Foundation Releases UEFI Secure Boot System
      However this doesn't make much difference because manufacturers must give the option to turn UEFI/Secure Boot off (which I did) so there's no incentive.

About the secure Boot, anybody can buy a Microsoft approved Verizon certificate for $99:
      Managing EFI Boot Loaders for Linux: Dealing with Secure Boot
      <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        As I understand it, it's that switching off that doesn't work. Hence buggy BIOS.
        Aforementioned machine now being sent back. They showed me: switched off the UEFI OS protection, reboot and it did nothing at all. It was only because this was a motherboard with the ability to reset the BIOS from a backup that they were able to get it going again, otherwise it would have had to go back to the factory. I read on the internet somewhere this is exactly what was going on with some Samsung laptops.

So before you buy a Windows 8 machine assuming it can have Windows 7 installed, you might want to check that somebody else has done it.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

In case anyone is keeping track, buggy BIOS was exactly right. The PC supplier had flashed the BIOS with their own modified version, just to get their own logo on presumably, and that was borked when it came to doing anything other than Windows 8. Installing the latest BIOS direct from Gigabyte has solved the issues.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey View Post
            Hi, spotted a laptop that I like that comes with pre-installed Windows 8. I know you can switch the Windows 7 GUI, but I'd rather use the good old Windows 7.

What's the process that one needs to follow to downgrade to Win7 and how many phone calls/emails/GB downloads would it take?
            Before you use the laptop, wipe it and install Windows 7 from scratch. Simple. You don't need to "downgrade" an operating system that you have never used.

Comment

Working...
            X