• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows Surface

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A month with my Surface RT:

A month with my Surface RT » Encosia

Quite a positive review on the whole.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      It should be a no-brainer for the app developers. It's Windows, one app runs on everything, tablet, phone, laptop, desktop.
      Everything running Windows 8, which won't be that many laptops or desktops.

But, because they've effectivly crippled the launch version by not running x86 no-one will want to develop apps for it only to have to rework them for the x86 version when it comes out, so the drive to buy the launch version won't be there, so there will be no momentum for the pro version when it arrives. Unless they can persuade the corporate buyers that it is a worthwhile investment.
      In theory x86 vs ARM won't require a great deal of reworking of apps, just recompiling for a different target.

The concept of "apps" are a bit old fashioned now anyway. It's only Appleists that like to talk about apps. I think the Windows app store will be a complete flop, which isn't to say that Surface itself won't be successful. But I'd certainly be put off by a) the price, and b) the low screen resolution. You're getting a lot more for your money with a Nexus 10.

Comment

Pricing released for Pro version:

BBC News - Microsoft prices Surface with Windows Pro tablets

Comment

It's not really UK news when we only know the US price; reporting it as $899 (£560) suggests it will be on sale for £560 here.

If you view the Surface Pro as a super-tiny netbook rather an a tablet, I think the price is reasonable... just look at the MacBook AIR and modern Ultrabooks, this makes those look huge.

I won't be buying one (unless plan B sees a market) but as a business tool I quite like them.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            It's not really UK news when we only know the US price; reporting it as $899 (£560) suggests it will be on sale for £560.
            Its generally nearer 1:1 though with US tech prices so we just know its probably <£899. I reckon £700-750.

I really fancy one, Visual Studio 2012 on a tab! Yes!!

But cant justify that cost really without getting rid of another bit of kit.
            Last edited by Durbs; 1 December 2012, 19:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
              Yeah, imagine how slow and unusable that would be.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                It's not really UK news when we only know the US price; reporting it as $899 (£560) suggests it will be on sale for £560 here.

If you view the Surface Pro as a super-tiny netbook rather an a tablet, I think the price is reasonable... just look at the MacBook AIR and modern Ultrabooks, this makes those look huge.
                To compare oranges with, er, apples

Surface with Windows 8 Pro:

64GB standalone version at $899
                128GB standalone version at $999

MacBook Air:

64GB 11 inch $999
                128GB 11 inch $1099

Given that the Surface Pro keyboards will come in at an estimated $100 extra, the prices are the same.

Time will tell on UK prices.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                  Yeah, imagine how slow and unusable that would be.
                  ??? Yeah, cos an Ivy Bridge i5, 4GB of memory, HD4000 graphics and 1920x1080 resolution is rubbish isn't it.
                  Last edited by Durbs; 2 December 2012, 15:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
                    No!!

Why on earth would you want that?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      No!!

Why on earth would you want that?
                      Cause its my livelihood and anything that gives me other options for coding on the move is a good thing. I'm currently swamped with clients so work is unfortunately a 7 day + every night thing at the moment so every hour I can cram in doing a bit of coding frees me up an hour to take off at the weekend. Its often a pain carrying a laptop around though so something like this that will allow me to do the odd hour of light work when I get the opportunity (not suggesting it going to take over from my laptop) sounds great.

Same for learning, my iPad is great for reading tutorials, listening to .net podcasts, watching tutorial vids but the Surface would add that extra bit where if I've just read a good tutorial, I can fire up VS and try it out there and then.

I'm not going to get one as it'll be too expensive to justify but was just saying the idea is good.

Comment

Working...
                      X