• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Macbook time machine - backup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macbook time machine - backup

current running 10.7 but have been struggling to back up the mbp to nas drive.
    It turns out my nas is not supported and time machine wont back up to this device.

What are the alternatives ? Buying a time capsule ?

I could just buy a different NAS drive - but which one ?

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    It turns out my nas is not supported and time machine wont back up to this device.

What NAS are you using? I had a ReadyNas Duo which needed a firmware upgrade after Lion install due to the changes in something or another
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      What NAS are you using? I had a ReadyNas Duo which needed a firmware upgrade after Lion install due to the changes in something or another
      NAS is a buffalo linkstation live 500GB.

Comment

Timmachine doesn't like non Mac filesystems for backups despite the fact that MAC OS will happily talk to NTFS without any faffing about ( it's one of my few peeves with Apple). There have been reports of sucess using this method if you haven't tried it already.

OSX Timemachine and Samba/Windows share « Hupio’s Weblog

Essentially you are creating a virtual Mac OS partition on the NAS device and pointing Timemachine at that. Just make sure you set it up with a big enough volume size for your backups.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Terminal, log into NAS and do this in it's root..

touch .com.apple.timemachine.supported

Should work then cos Mac will think it's a Time Capsule and do the needful - Google about a bit tho, that used to work, might not now....

Works(ed) on any share or used to!

Comment

Just bought one of these and all 3 of our Macs recognised it out of the box as a file server and a backup drive.

My Book Live.

Plus, once registered, any computer can access the file share through the WD website, once logged in it mounts as a remote volume.
            Still Invoicing

Comment

An external Firewire drive does it for me. You don't have to buy a Time Capsule.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

My D-link NAS needed the Timemachine compatibility turning on. it was an option in admin panel. Worked fab once i sorted that and mapped a drive...
                I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Working...
                X