• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using mobile phone as modem for Android Tablet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using mobile phone as modem for Android Tablet

Mum has a Scroll Excel Android tablet.

It does not have bluetooth.

She wants to use it for the internet in her apartment in France, but there is no wifi to connect to.

I have an old Nokia 6500C with 3G, which I used as a modem for the internet for a previous laptop (Linix Asus notebook).

I have a question over best way to connect the Nokia to the tablet - there is a cable for the Nokia which connects to a normal usb. However, the usb on the tablet is mini. Is it just a case of getting the Nokia normal USB cable, then getting a mini USB adapter?

Or, is there a mini USB bluetooth dongle that would work for an android tablet?

Once I do get them either bluetooth paired or the lead for the Nokia to the tablet, any ideas on actually using the phone as a modem?

Or, is there a modem that may work for an android tablet, just as I use the works USB dongle for my laptop?

Thanks in advance.....

I suspect you will find that neither phone nor tablet can act as a USB host. The best bet is to get hold of a phone that can also act as a wifi hotspot and share it's 3G that way. Most android phones seem to do that for example, and my N97 did with something called Joiku or similar.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      I suspect you will find that neither phone nor tablet can act as a USB host. The best bet is to get hold of a phone that can also act as a wifi hotspot and share it's 3G that way. Most android phones seem to do that for example, and my N97 did with something called Joiku or similar.
      Bugger. Her phone is the Nokia X6-00, which also does not have wifi hotspot cababilities.

Her phone is due for upgrade soon, I was thinking about the Iphone 3 for her as on a good plan - however, not so sure about the strange iphone SIM cards, and if te phone would be locked to the network rendering the French data sim card useless. What other wifi hotspot phones would be good for a lady in her late 60's who just wants things like laptops and phones to work??

This is the deal I am looking at for the internet connection: Prepaid sim card for France

Comment

My droid automatically offers to share 3g or wifi when connected to a PC. Not tried it to a tab, mainly because i need a mini-mini USB lead and dont have one lying about...
        I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

buy a second hand SIM unlocked android phone. Root it and then use that

or get a Mifi device that will work in France
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            buy a second hand SIM unlocked android phone. Root it and then use that

or get a Mifi device that will work in France
            Decided to can the tablet idea - I have an old AsusEeePC which used to get connected fine to the Nokia as a modem (as 3G it is fast).

However, I would be needing the Orange France settings to enter into the Asus for the modem - Cannot find them on the internet, and Orange UK give me an Orange France number that does not speak English......

Any ideas? The Orange UK details are here, just need the French equivalent:

ID: dialup3
            Name: orange 3
            Type: Dialup connection
            Phone number: *99#
            User name: user
            Password: ********* (I think this may be 'orange' from memory....)

Comment

Working...
            X