• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wifi Access Problems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi Access Problems

Hoping someone can help - have pc at home connected to router and laptop connected via wifi. I have had this setup for past 4 yrs or so and no problems.

Tried to use my laptop last night after a week of not using it, and as normal wifi auto connects to internet upon boot up. However then get message saying 'limited connectivity' and I cannot get onto the internet.

So if I then disconnect, my wifi signal strength shows as 'excellent' and as soon as try to re-connect get message saying 'windows cannot connect etc' and sign strength drops.

Have tried this with my laptop right next to the router and same problem. When I last used the laptop all was fine.

Any ideas ?

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Hoping someone can help - have pc at home connected to router and laptop connected via wifi. I have had this setup for past 4 yrs or so and no problems.

Tried to use my laptop last night after a week of not using it, and as normal wifi auto connects to internet upon boot up. However then get message saying 'limited connectivity' and I cannot get onto the internet.

So if I then disconnect, my wifi signal strength shows as 'excellent' and as soon as try to re-connect get message saying 'windows cannot connect etc' and sign strength drops.

Have tried this with my laptop right next to the router and same problem. When I last used the laptop all was fine.

Any ideas ?
    Reboot the router, delete all wifi settings in Windows and set up again. Is Win managing the connection or a 3rd party app (sometimes NIC specific)?

See how that goes first off.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Any ideas ?
      Probably your modem not the router. (if they are separate)

Does your router have an "internet light" on it.

Try resetting your modem.

Comment

Originally posted by MonzaMike View Post
        Probably your modem not the router. (if they are separate)

Does your router have an "internet light" on it.

Try resetting your modem.
        Yes, I have tried stopping and starting the router but no joy. My pc which is connected to the router works fine. I have also just now tried connecting to my work vpn on my work laptop and this connects fine. So this would indicate a problem with the home laptop.

Comment

Yes, I have tried stopping and starting the router but no joy. My pc which is connected to the router works fine. I have also just now tried connecting to my work vpn on my work laptop and this connects fine. So this would indicate a problem with the home laptop.
          It's likely that your laptop is trying to use the same IP as something on your network that is already connected.

Even though they are suppose to be dynamically assigned it doesn't always work.

Disconnecting everything from the router, and then reconnecting your laptop first then everything else.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Check the channel settings on the laptop are set to the same as the router.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Change the channel if its set to auto change it to 11 or 6, (on the wireless router)

if everything else is working ok and you have internet on your PC and if you cable your laptop to the router and its all working ok then its the signal to your wifi router.

seen this before with a talk talk wirless box, i think it was caused by other wirelss signals in the area probably all set to automatic, set the box to 6 never had a problem again

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                seen this before with a talk talk wirless box, i think it was caused by other wirelss signals in the area probably all set to automatic, set the box to 6 never had a problem again
                You may want to use this:
                NetStumbler - Download

or this:
                inSSIDer | MetaGeek

I had to use netstumbler as the school opposite had such a strong wifi signal my signal kept dropping out. I then changed it and had problems with my neighbours. So I used netstumbler to find one that worked.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                  Change the channel if its set to auto change it to 11 or 6, (on the wireless router)
                  if everything else is working ok and you have internet on your PC and if you cable your laptop to the router and its all working ok then its the signal to your wifi router.

thanks but how do I do this ? Do i go into the router config or is it an actual switch/port on the router (Netgear) ?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    You may want to use this:
                    NetStumbler - Download

or this:
                    inSSIDer | MetaGeek

I had to use netstumbler as the school opposite had such a strong wifi signal my signal kept dropping out. I then changed it and had problems with my neighbours. So I used netstumbler to find one that worked.
                    thanks I'll give it a go, although not totally sure what I am doing...

Comment

Working...
                    X