• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

(non-Android) ARM Laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(non-Android) ARM Laptop

Does anybody here use an ARM-based Laptop and replaced Android with something else, for example Linux, and if so did you regret it?
    <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Android is based on Linux kernel.

Comment

So what? iOS and MacOSX share some code but they are not the same OS. "Based on" doesn't mean they are the same, or have the same capabilities.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

==

Originally posted by wikipedia
        Android's kernel is derived from the Linux kernel. Google contributed code to the Linux kernel as part of their Android effort, but certain features, notably a power management feature called wakelocks, were rejected by mainline kernel developers, so the Android kernel is now a separate version or fork of the Linux kernel
        <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

What about this one:
          Genesi - EFIKA MX Smartbook

It's sold at 189 euros including free shipping to the UK:
          Genesi Europe

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
            What about this one:
            Genesi - EFIKA MX Smartbook

It's sold at 189 euros including free shipping to the UK:
            Genesi Europe
            I don't think anyone knows. most of the people on here will want a windows laptop or mac of some kind.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              I don't think anyone knows. most of the people on here will want a windows laptop or mac of some kind.
              I'm sure there are a fair few Linux people on any techy site though!
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I'm sure there are a fair few Linux people on any techy site though!
                I doubt many are interested in arm based laptops.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I wouldn't bother with an ARM based laptop at the moment as it's only going to run a small fraction of the software I want & need to use, regardless of which OS is installed.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    I wouldn't bother with an ARM based laptop at the moment as it's only going to run a small fraction of the software I want & need to use, regardless of which OS is installed.
                    At the moment it's probably only of interest to those wishing to get involved in porting stuff.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X