• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private wikis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private wikis

Got a small personal wiki hosted on my laptop which basically is everything from recipies to technical how tos.

Would quite like to move it to a hosted solution (free if possible), obviously private with logins and possibly a couple of users which uses the standard wiki syntax so I can copy and paste.

Anyone use one?

I am sure I found one but I have since lost the link.

Cheers

It's not a wiki of course, but sounds like Evernote might work for you.

Doesn't do multiple users for one account right enough.

Comment

Cheers, I'll give that a go.

Just registered for wikidot.com but I am on IE6 at work and the pages are all over the place so I really don't know what it is like.

Comment

Similar concept to Evernote is Microsoft OneNote.

I store my onenote files on SkyDrive, and share them with relevant people. The OneNote clients on my laptop, desktop and phone all then sync automatically.

Comment

Or you could try tiddlyspot

Based on Tiddlywikis.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            Or you could try tiddlyspot

Based on Tiddlywikis.
            +1 to that

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Got a small personal wiki hosted on my laptop which basically is everything from recipies to technical how tos.

What are you using for offline?

I currently have a mixture of text files and spreadsheets. Maybe I could be more organised?

Not interested in online solutions as I prefer to keep my notes private and relatively secure.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                What are you using for offline?

I currently have a mixture of text files and spreadsheets. Maybe I could be more organised?

Not interested in online solutions as I prefer to keep my notes private and relatively secure.
                I was using pmWIKI running off a USB apache webserver I had stored on a dropbox directory, the data was in flat file.

It meant I could run it anywhere I had my dropbox content.

While it was a clever little solution I would never download dropbox to a work machine so I could never access it at work or on my phone.

I could not get the mySQL instance running on the USB server as I have mySQL on all my machines, tried everything but just gave up.

For anything important I use a truecrypt volume in a dropbox folder, the wiki is for just notes.

Comment

Ok, thanks. Sounds a bit more complicated than a bunch of text and excel files though so will have a look around for any similar suitable offline based software.

Edit: Wiki on a Stick looks interesting.
                  Last edited by PAH; 10 August 2011, 14:29.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                  X