• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Optimum Virtual Machine workstation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimum Virtual Machine workstation

Building a new PC as soon as the components arrive. Thinking of segregating common tasks into virtual machines so I can easily rebuild or replace a VM for new or alternative versions of software without filling my main O/S with junk.

Also makes backing up as easy as copying the VM image to the backup device.

Going to give VirtualBox a try, hosted in Windows 7 64bit.

Currently thinking of having the following virtual machines:

1. Dev (Visual Studio, SQL Server, source control, etc)

2. Video Conversion (tools used to rip my DVDs to my NAS and convert to h.264 or iPod size)

3. Browser sandboxes (isolated browsing in case any compromised websites accessed. This will be riddled with anti-virus and ant-malware software.)

4. Test sandbox (for testing new software before installing in a more permanent VM, to avoid cluttering the main VMs)

Anyone done similar and have any recommendations or ideas for the ideal workstation?
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

If I had to build that, I'd seriously consider a Mac Pro running VMWare Fusion. That said, I'd wait until later this month when the model refresh is due.

Comment

Nah, I don't do Macs, or Linux. Already have W7 x64 so going to upgrade my PC to a quad core, 16gb, dual SSD mofo for under 500 quid.

Not so keen on VMWare. Tried the free version a few years ago and it was sluggish. Don't want all my resources hogged by the VM software.

If VirtualBox isn't good enough I may try Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 (free to download and use) which also operates as the host O/S. Not sure I need each VM to be running as a server though, so hopefully a workstation approach will suffice.
      Last edited by PAH; 3 August 2011, 13:14.
      Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        Nah, I don't do Macs, or Linux. Already have W7 x64 so going to upgrade my PC to a quad core, 16gb, dual SSD mofo for under 500 quid.

Not so keen on VMWare. Tried the free version a few years ago and it was sluggish. Don't want all my resources hogged by the VM software.

If VirtualBox isn't good enough I may try Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 (free to download and use) which also operates as the host O/S. Not sure I need each VM to be running as a server though, so hopefully a workstation approach will suffice.
        Fair enough, it's just the extra grunt of the Xeons and the high performance of the workstation that I like in the Mac Pro. The way it works is perfectly robust enough for running multiple VMs without the memory hogging you get with Microsoft Hyper-V on a Microsoft OS. Plus I know that it's a far more robust OS that I can leave running nearly permanently. Win7 is a huge improvement for Microsoft but it's still years behind Mac OSX as a desktop OS in terms of robustness.

The latest VMWare Fusion is a fantastic bit of kit but it's user preference over Parallels.

Comment

Very happy with Virtualbox mainly due to its cost.

I run 3 VMs on a win7 machine.
          1. Ubuntu for surfing
          2. another ubuntu as a copy of my webserver and ftp/ssh box and general technical masturbation
          3. erm... .net IDES system

Best thing is I can copy them all on to an external drive an use them on my MBP.

Comment

Building a new PC as soon as the components arrive. Thinking of segregating common tasks into virtual machines so I can easily rebuild or replace a VM for new or alternative versions of software without filling my main O/S with junk.

Also makes backing up as easy as copying the VM image to the backup device.

Going to give VirtualBox a try, hosted in Windows 7 64bit.

Currently thinking of having the following virtual machines:

1. Dev (Visual Studio, SQL Server, source control, etc)

2. Video Conversion (tools used to rip my DVDs to my NAS and convert to h.264 or iPod size)

3. Browser sandboxes (isolated browsing in case any compromised websites accessed. This will be riddled with anti-virus and ant-malware software.)

4. Test sandbox (for testing new software before installing in a more permanent VM, to avoid cluttering the main VMs)

Anyone done similar and have any recommendations or ideas for the ideal workstation?
            Yes, I do much the same thing, usually I make a VM per client + a seperate dev machine for Java & Visual Studio and various other ones for different OS & database versions and so on.

An "ideal" workstation needs enough memory to fit all live machines into physical RAM and a disk subsystem with plentiful IO throughput. I used to use 4 x SATA drives in RAID10 with an LSI adapter, now I use SSD for "live" machines. For the CPU, it depends on how many machines you are running at once, how many cores you configure per VM and if your workload will make use of the cores. I am still on a Core 2 Duo + have most machines configured with 2 cores but I rarely have to run more than one at once. So your suggested spec sounds fine, with the caveat that with 2 x SSD you probably don't want to use RAID as it will disable support for the TRIM command.

I'm surprised you find VMWare sluggish, I use Workstation and I find using most guests comparable to using a native OS. You do need to allocate enough memory to VMWare, and set it to use physical RAM, use independent / persistent disks if you can, keep the VMWare tools up to date and switch on the accelerated video drivers and so on but I find it flies along. It might be worth having a look at VMWare Player, which is free and now allows you to create VMs.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I almost bought VMware Workstation earlier this year, but I too found it sluggish.

I tried that and couldn't get it working. I think it was preconfigured for hardware I don't have (e.g. Intel versus AMD).
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Maybe VMWare was sluggish for me due to my soon to be upgraded PC only having 2gb ram (mobo limit ), so may give it another go if I'm not happy with VirtualBox.

I figure 16gb ram will be enough for multiple VMs running simultanously, each having 2 to 4gb ram allocated. Probably won't be running them all together anyway, but nice if they will!

Not going to raid the SSDs, but may try two VMs per SSD and see how the I/O copes.

Will try running the smaller sandbox VMs from a ramdisk loaded from a large traditional hard drive I'll use as colder storage. If a ramdisk is too limited in size I'll just bang in another SSD or two!

Would go to 32gb (Sandy Bridge limit until quad channel Sandy Bridge-E comes out later in year) for a truly usable ramdisk size if the 8gb sticks were as relatively cheap as 4gb sticks currently are.
                Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Maybe VMWare was sluggish for me due to my soon to be upgraded PC only having 2gb ram (mobo limit ), so may give it another go if I'm not happy with VirtualBox.

I figure 16gb ram will be enough for multiple VMs running simultanously, each having 2 to 4gb ram allocated. Probably won't be running them all together anyway, but nice if they will
                  In a post earlier this year I mentioned that I could see VMware creating pagefiles for each virtual machine. This is how VMware can host more VM RAM than is physically available, but even with only one VM running I could see a lot of activity on these. I got sick of seeing the disk activity LED solidly on for extended periods of time.

I think it was doodab who told me that those pagefiles could be switched off (damn, that advice came too late for my trial period).

Once you get your shiny new upgrade, try out VirtuaBox then grab a 30 day trial of VMware Workstation and see how it compares.

A warning about Hyper-V. When I tried it under Server 2008, it trod on VirtualBox and uninstalling it was the only way to get VBox working again.
                  Last edited by Sysman; 4 August 2011, 13:22.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I use an ML115 running Win 2K8 server with lots of RAM - use VMWare Player on it. works nicely.

You can pick ML115's up real cheap if you shop around and they are solid machines. they run a dual core Opteron which isn't the quickest processor, but I found the memory was the bottleneck anyway so ramping that up meant i've never had any issues with a virtual machine not performing as it should.
                    Last edited by Durbs; 4 August 2011, 14:09.

Comment

Working...
                    X