• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Browser market share in business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browser market share in business

Does anyone report this data? It's all great knowing Ie6/7 has small share in the home market but what about corporate?

A side question - is it reasonable to suggest that while IE6 might still have a significant user-base, those who upgraded to IE7 will also probably have upgraded to IE8... i.e. we'll see peaks for 6 & 8 and a dip for 7?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

There are/were lots of sites developed for IE6 'peculiarities' that mean sites or web apps need redeveloping to work with newer versions. Not sure if the government (probably the biggest instigator of 'must have IE6') have managed to move on yet.

So you're probably right in that if you are worried about older versions of IE then you'll see IE6 as a problem.

At some point companies will have to bite the bullet, fix their broken websites, and say they are no longer supporting a well out of date and bug-ridden version of IE. Force their customers to upgrade or sod off.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
      There are/were lots of sites developed for IE6 'peculiarities' that mean sites or web apps need redeveloping to work with newer versions. Not sure if the government (probably the biggest instigator of 'must have IE6') have managed to move on yet.

So you're probably right in that if you are worried about older versions of IE then you'll see IE6 as a problem.

At some point companies will have to bite the bullet, fix their broken websites, and say they are no longer supporting a well out of date and bug-ridden version of IE. Force their customers to upgrade or sod off.
      There are large companies where for 10 years applications have been written for IE6 catering for its peculiarities. These are taking an awful long time to fix and test so IE6 will be around for as while yet (especially as a big bang replacement of ie6 would be impossible).
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I think it depends whether you're global. US and UK have < 3% share of IE6, but in China and India it's still around 10%, which boosts the total usage figure.

One of previous client's sites was reporting about 9% IE6 usage - but found out later that all their staff were still on IE6 so skewing the result.

IE6 is a PITA. Sooner we can forget it, the better.

Comment

Client CO still on IE6 - major pain. No plans to change as roll out process for IE8 is taking a very long time (regression test / fix existing apps).

Going live next month with new system that will not work in IE6 so had to get Firefox installed on locked down. That's been a long and sorry process!
          Beer
          is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

There are loads of sites that report browser stats but often they use their own site to measure them. If it's a techy site then obviously there's going to be a lower than average proportion of users on IE. The only useful stats are for your own site. Cater for your own customers, not other peoples.

Comment

Maybe try designing a site that doesn't rely on any browser specifics, or add-ons such as javascript, jquery, ajax.

It's piss easy when you place more importance on content than design. See Google, Amazon, and many other successful yet simple sites for examples.

Though maybe don't go as far as Ling's Cars.
              Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                Though maybe don't go as far as Ling's Cars.
                Don't click on that site. She'll visit again.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  Don't click on that site. She'll visit again.
                  Everyone deserves a summer holiday.
                  Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

A site that doesn't need CSS? And Google's site certainly uses all kinds of extra bits and bobs.

Of more interest is that Google and Worpress to name two, are about to cease supporting IE7. So hence my question - is this a problem or would people who did upgrade 6->7 also upgrade 7-> leaving an island of IE6 users but not many IE7 users?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X