• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How can open-source have a restrictive usage license?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can open-source have a restrictive usage license?

JW Player: Download | LongTail Video | Home of the JW Player

I note this is open-source but you have to pay for a commercial use license. I'm a bit confused how that works - I don't object to paying but am wondering why. Is it that the license is for a pre-built "binary" only - I could build my own version from source and use it commercially for free?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    JW Player: Download | LongTail Video | Home of the JW Player

I note this is open-source but you have to pay for a commercial use license. I'm a bit confused how that works - I don't object to paying but am wondering why. Is it that the license is for a pre-built "binary" only - I could build my own version from source and use it commercially for free?
    Its perfectly possible to have an open source product that does the basics and a more advanced version that is a commercial product.

I think that is what is happening here, the open source product provides core functionality for free but the commercial product offers additional user friendly options such as advert wrappers around the video.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

As far as I am aware, open source doesn't prevent you from charging for something, it just means you have to provide the source code so the end user can modify what they have bought if they want to.
      Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
        As far as I am aware, open source doesn't prevent you from charging for something, it just means you have to provide the source code so the end user can modify what they have bought if they want to.
        That's how I understand it too.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Its perfectly possible to have an open source product that does the basics and a more advanced version that is a commercial product.

I think that is what is happening here, the open source product provides core functionality for free but the commercial product offers additional user friendly options such as advert wrappers around the video.
          Sure, but it's not just the feature-set. They specifically say you're not allowed to use the free version for commercial use.

If it's under GPL or something standard, what's to stop me building it from the source - is the license on the binary they let you download, or the source-code?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Sure, but it's not just the feature-set. They specifically say you're not allowed to use the free version for commercial use.

If it's under GPL or something standard, what's to stop me building it from the source - is the license on the binary they let you download, or the source-code?
            Maybe this thread on their forums can clear this up Licensing a custom build of JW Player | LongTail Video | Home of the JW Player
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Just because the source is open doesn't mean it's GPL, or anything else. They can do what they like.

What does it do? It seems to be just using the Flash player which isn't difficult to knock up yourself (especially if you can download someone else's handy source code for inspiration).
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Just because the source is open doesn't mean it's GPL, or anything else. They can do what they like.
                I never said it was GPL... although I can't see an obvious link to which license they use.

What does it do? It seems to be just using the Flash player which isn't difficult to knock up yourself (especially if you can download someone else's handy source code for inspiration).
                It's a video player for Flash and HTML5. Even if we take the HTML5 part out, saying "it's simple because it uses Flash" is like saying "X is easy to create because it uses .NET".

Comment

A number of the dual license scheme operate along the following lines:
                  • The free version is released under the standard GPL with emphasis on the copy left nature of the license; i.e. the release of proprietary extensions is encouraged.
                  • The commercial license takes precedence over the GPL allowing proprietary extensions to remain a secret.

Comment

Working...
                  X