• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which adapter to make my Mac output to VGA?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which adapter to make my Mac output to VGA?

There seem to be several adapters which look near-identical, depending on which Mac you've got. Is there a clear guide anywhere or can someone share personal experience?

I don't know exactly what model I've got but it is one of the aluminium unibody MacBooks (not a Pro) bought in 2008, running 10.5. I think that narrows it down a lot since the unibody was later restricted to pros only.

Am I right that my MacBook has DVI output? So I want this? Can you get reliable 3rd-party versions?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I think those ones had displayport instead of DVI so you need this one: Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

You ought to be able to tell by looking at the ports.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I don't know exactly what model I've got but it is one of the aluminium unibody MacBooks (not a Pro) bought in 2008, running 10.5. I think that narrows it down a lot since the unibody was later restricted to pros only.
      To find out which model it is use System Profiler (click on the Apple Icon at the LHS of the menu bar > About this Mac > More info).
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Model A1278? As doodab says, that needs a Mini Display Port to VGA adapter (that's a link to it in the UK store).

Comment

So a one brand computer company has different video outputs?

Meanwhile the multi-vendor PC has standardised outputs?

I find it quite amusing when someone in the office cant charge their iPhone, I've had a problem finding a mini USB.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            Meanwhile the multi-vendor PC has standardised outputs?

What, like VGA, DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort (which is what Macs also use)?

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post

What, like VGA, DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort (which is what Macs also use)?
              If you buy a PC and a monitor, you'll be able to connect them up with what comes in the box.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

If you buy a PC and a monitor, you'll be able to connect them up with what comes in the box.
                If you buy them together and you make sure the connectors match. (Both DVI/VGA)
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

If PC laptops come with a monitor in the box, they're doing it wrong.

Comment

"several adapters which look near-identical, depending on which Mac you've got"

Not my words, can't argue with zealots though.

Comment

Working...
                    X