• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

USB cable with two connectors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB cable with two connectors

Got a Core backup device recently which has no instructions. Not really necessary as you just plug it in and it works but the USB plug has another USB cable coming off it. What's that for exactly when you get two USB plugs on one device?

Just curious really. Cheers.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Got a Core backup device recently which has no instructions. Not really necessary as you just plug it in and it works but the USB plug has another USB cable coming off it. What's that for exactly when you get two USB plugs on one device?

Just curious really. Cheers.
    one is for data and power
    the other provides an extra bit of power to the external device

Plug the wrong one in and it looks like what ever you're trying to use is f**ked
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

it looks like what ever you're trying to use is f**ked
      Indeed, it doesn't seem to work if you just plug in the 2nd extension.
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Cheers all. I was thinking it was so could stick them together in a chain or summit, drives D:, E: etc, that would be handy.
        bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Presumably to get around the 500mA current limit on USB.
          Probably cheaper for the manufacturer to include such a USB cable than an external power adapter.

Comment

In my experience, it's in case the device you connect it to isn't outputting enough juice per USB port, so you need two connections to provide enough power.

I think the only time I've had to use the second connector is with an old-ish laptop, so maybe they upped the power ceiling sometime after USB2, as I'm pretty sure it wasn't USB1. I'd have noticed it taking all week to copy a few gigs!
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              I think the only time I've had to use the second connector is with an old-ish laptop, so maybe they upped the power ceiling sometime after USB2, as I'm pretty sure it wasn't USB1. I'd have noticed it taking all week to copy a few gigs!
              I tried that a couple of months ago. I couldn't be bothered unpacking my laptop so used the old laptop (USB-1) to do some large downloads and started copying them to a USB drive...

I unpacked my laptop after all.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Slight tangent, but I see Intel are now moving into the USB space with their new competing connectivity solution Thunderbolt.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else suffer from the same problem as me.... The USB plug is ALWAYS upside down when you try to plug it in....

Drives me mad, everytime

Comment

Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
                    Just out of curiosity, does anyone else suffer from the same problem as me.... The USB plug is ALWAYS upside down when you try to plug it in....

Drives me mad, everytime
                    This is a manifestation of the Murphy's Law which states that any given cable will naturally orientate itself by 180 degrees to the receiving connector.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X