• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is This Possible - CrusieControl and Multiple Any Build.xml's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is This Possible - CrusieControl and Multiple Any Build.xml's

Trying to set up some sort of continual intergration, I have CrusieControl set up and installed working fine, with the is the main config.xml which defines the projects. This in turn calls a build.xml which checks the code out of a SourceControl repository (SVN if if mattes), this works fine. Ideally what I want is after the code has been checked out a build.xml will then be called that creates the Java Application and the EAR's etc, however Ideally I would want this build.xml to be checked out every time so that if the Dev's make any changes to the build.xml CruiseControl doesn't need to be altered as it will check out the build each time.

I am using the same code that calls the first build.xml in config.xml (which works) in build.xml call build_ear.xml but CrusieControl is throwing up a fit saying "ant doesn't support the "buildfile" attribute.

Does this make sense to anyone?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Wibble....

Does this make sense to anyone?

38 views and no replies.

The answers no then.

Comment

A previous client had something like this. I don't know how it was setup, but the build.xml was in source control and was checked out by CruiseControl when starting a build. So I can tell you that it is possible, although why anybody would choose to use CruiseControl is beyond me.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I think that you can only do this by having a simple build file that does the checkout from SVN and then calls the build file within the source tree. It's a long time since I have used CC (I find hudson much better) and am willing to be proven wrong but that's the way that I would do it.

Comment

Clientco are in the process of moving from Hudson to something called Jenkins

(Not knowing the first thing about either of them, I have no opinion on which is better.)
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Clientco are in the process of moving from Hudson to something called Jenkins

(Not knowing the first thing about either of them, I have no opinion on which is better.)
            PermieCo have already moved from Hudson to Jenkins. Apparently it's better. I don't know anything about it, but in my first week I was the one that did an update and discovered the build was broken, and asked "why don't we have a continuous integration server?", to be met by the slightly angry repsonse of "we do!". Which then lead to a lot of head scratching as to why the continuous integration server wasn't working and why nobody had noticed...

Which seems to be the pattern when people get sucked into using these ridiculously over-complicated Java based "job" based build systems. The aforementioned client with CruiseControl were constantly having problems with it, even to the extent of having to schedule a nightly 3am machine reboot. And any minor change to the system was a total nightmare.

The build system I put together for my plan B consists of a JavaScript file that runs with WSH. No fancy dependencies or spending hours scratching your head staring at XML. Just do this, then this, then this, then this, then tell me if it worked or not. I'd do that.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Praise Jebus it is possible!

Code:
              <target name="buildEAR">
              <ant antfile="${svn.checkout.folder}/build.xml" inheritall="false" target="multi-build">
              </ant>
              </target>
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
              X