• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ultraportable laptop for £8-900ish

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ultraportable laptop for £8-900ish

Want something light I can cart about during the day

13" screen or thereabouts - the occasional bit of Eclipse work, local web dev, RDP to my home PC, no games, 3-4hrs a day on battery

Lenovo X220
    Sony Vaio SB
    Samsung QX310
    or, MacBook Pro

Not specifically tied to PC so the MBP is an option I suppose
    Anyone got a X220 ?

Originally posted by oversteer View Post

13" screen or thereabouts - the occasional bit of Eclipse work, local web dev, RDP to my home PC, no games, 3-4hrs a day on battery

Lenovo X220
    Sony Vaio SB
    Samsung QX310
    or, MacBook Pro

Anyone got a X220 ?
    The new (not yet launched) Macbook air should meet your criteria if you can wait. Supposedly it will have i5 / i7 core processors.

Apple To Ship Mac OS X Lion And New MacBook Airs On July 19th | iPhone App/Game Reviews, iPad App/Game Reviews, Apple and App News At AppleNApps

Personally I'm getting one of the new Sony Z Series but that is out of your price range. The 1920x1080 screen is the reason why.
    Last edited by eek; 29 June 2011, 07:55.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      The new (not yet launched) Macbook air should meet your criteria if you can wait. Supposedly it will have i5 / i7 core processors.

Apple To Ship Mac OS X Lion And New MacBook Airs On July 19th | iPhone App/Game Reviews, iPad App/Game Reviews, Apple and App News At AppleNApps

Personally I'm getting one of the new Sony Z Series but that is out of your price range. The 1920x1080 screen is the reason why.
      I keep trying to persuade myself that I don't need a Macbook Air when the i7 version comes out but by God I WANT one!!! That Sony is gorgeous but it is bloody pricey

Comment

I've just taken delivery of a new Mac Book Air. Fantastic piece of kit. Unfortunately it isn't in your budget, unless you go for the basic 11".
        SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Originally posted by oversteer View Post

Lenovo X220
          Sony Vaio SB
          Samsung QX310
          or, MacBook Pro

Anyone got a X220 ?
          I got a 2011 MBP Pro (Intel Core i5 Dual Core 2.3GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Up to 7 hrs battery life) and wouldn't look back, its an amazing bit of kit and Amazon are doing it for just over £900 at the moment.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            I got a 2011 MBP Pro (Intel Core i5 Dual Core 2.3GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Up to 7 hrs battery life) and wouldn't look back, its an amazing bit of kit and Amazon are doing it for just over £900 at the moment.
            I know. They are seriously tempting just can't stand low screen resolutions.

Comment

I wouldn't call the MBP ultraportable. Get an Air, or the Lenovo, they've brought out a new ultra-portable version in the X-series IIRC..

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                I know. They are seriously tempting just can't stand low screen resolutions.
                I haven't found it too bad

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                  I wouldn't call the MBP ultraportable. Get an Air, or the Lenovo, they've brought out a new ultra-portable version in the X-series IIRC..
                  I think 13" for that budget would struggle to get Ultra Portable

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    I haven't found it too bad
                    I've had 10 years of high resolution screens and Visual Studio does like its screen space. It may just be me but while I really want a mac I think I need the screen resolution more.

Comment

Working...
                    X