• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ultraportable laptop for £8-900ish

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I think 13" for that budget would struggle to get Ultra Portable
    Not true, I have an HP DM1-1020. It is an 11" screen and has a dual core celeron processor, 3GB ram and 256GB HD. It only cost me in the region of £450 about a year ago and I love it. The screen is LED and better than any mid priced screen I have seen and it even has HDMI out.

The latest equivalent I found on the PC world webiste is this:
    HP Pavilion dm1-3101ea 11.6" Laptop - Silver at cheap prices | PC World
    It has a dual core AMD processor and 3GB ram and 320GB HD and is only £350! Definitely worth it at that price.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      I think 13" for that budget would struggle to get Ultra Portable
      An X220 with an i5 is doable for that especially without the VAT

Is 1366x768 particularly unusable? A laptop here has that on a 15" and it's not so bad, although Photoshop et al complained when being installed.

The new Vaio Z with an i5, SSD and 1080p screen is "only" £1250+VAT .. will it have the durability of something like the X220 or MBP ?
      Last edited by oversteer; 29 June 2011, 20:39.

Comment

I just ordered one of these

Intel® Core™ i7-2617M 1.5GHz (2.6GHz w/Turbo Boost, 4MB Cache)
        2nd Gen (Sandy Bridge) CPU
        8Gb RAM
        11.6" screen
        NVidia Gaphics
        750Gb Hard Drive
        Battery life up to 13 hours(!)
        2Kg
        (1x) IEEE 1304a (4-pin) Firewire Port
        (1x) RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet
        (2x) SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Ports
        (1x) Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Port with PowerShare technology
        (1x) Display Port
        (1x) HDMI 1.4 Audio and Video Output
        (1x) 3-in-1 Media Card Reader
        (2x) Audio Out 1/8" Ports
        (1x) Audio In / Microphone 1/8" Port (retaskable for 5.1 audio)
        (1x) Security Lock port

Not sure about cost from the UK but with a 12% coupon (not sure if it works in the UK) and 3 years warranty I got it for $1799 AUD (net cost will about half that over here after I expense it).

Here's an extract from a review about battery life:

"Especially impressive is the battery life when subjected to a low load, minimal brightness, and maximum power saving; the Readers Test from Battery Eater ran for just under 13 hours. If the brightness is increased to its maximum and the power saving options are scaled back a little bit, the M11x R3 still manages to stay on its feet for a long time without needing mains power. When browsing the web with WLAN the subnotebook lasted 7.5 hours."

Full review is here.

Cheaper/lower spec models are available.
        Last edited by gadgetman; 5 July 2011, 05:10.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post

8Gb RAM
          11.6" screen
          NVidia Gaphics
          750Gb Hard Drive
          2Kg
          (1x) Display Port
          (1x) Security Lock port

Not sure about cost from the UK but with a 12% coupon (not sure if it works in the UK) and 3 years warranty I got it for $1799 AUD (net cost will about half that over here after I expense it).

"Especially impressive is the battery life when subjected to a low load, minimal brightness, and maximum power saving; the Readers Test from Battery Eater ran for just under 13 hours. If the brightness is increased to its maximum and the power saving options are scaled back a little bit, the M11x R3 still manages to stay on its feet for a long time without needing mains power. When browsing the web with WLAN the subnotebook lasted 7.5 hours."

Full review is here.

That spec would cost £1404 from Dell UK, the lower spec i5 with 2GB RAM and 250GB HD is £899. The older Core 2 Duo model starts at £449 and is an attractive deal.

Comment

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post

8Gb RAM
            11.6" screen
            NVidia Gaphics
            750Gb Hard Drive
            2Kg
            (1x) Display Port
            (1x) Security Lock port

Full review is here.

No dis, but are you actually planning on showing up at the client's site with this?
            It's basically saying, hi guys let's get over with this boring "business" stuff, I'm due for my session of Call of Duty/Wow/Farmville later today. At least to me that's what the design is saying with all the flashy backlit keys etc..

I'm still curious about the next gen Macbook Air, but got 2011 MBP 2011 + Vertex3 (550MB/s read) and 8GB of RAM. Basically what I've found is that anywhere the 13" air fits, the 13" MBP fits as well (backpack, messenger bag etc) and if you whine about the weight difference, of course get the MBP or stop complaining as other have to carry much heavier items like bricks or postal mail for a living and not just from the tube to the office.

Comment

Working...
            X