• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Firefox 5 released

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 5 released

Crikey, that was quick - I haven't even got around to upgrading to FF4 yet

Firefox web browser | International versions: Get Firefox in your language

I dread new browsers because I'm developing a site at the moment and not much has changed since the browser war days really. They all still have their quirks. Just installed the Firefox Mobile browser on my Android phone and found it does a couple of odd things which the iPhone, HTC, Blackberry and even Windows 7 Mobile browsers don't do. More issues to fix then. Is anyone really likely to start using Firefox Mobile? The native browsers on most the Androids are very good. Firefox seem to have included Add-ons on Mobile though, so I guess that could be an attraction for some people. Geeks anyway.

Comment

I noticed some extensions that are already compatible up to Firefox 6.x so I guess it's just PR stunt to get more people at every "major" release (which would probably be called 3.7.8 in the old days).
      Anyone noticed anything, any "major" change?? THe URL at the bottom perhaps?

Comment

I had updated to FF4 a few days ago and the update advisor today recommended upgrading to fix a security flaw, and the product version is showing at 5.0 now. I preferred the 3.6 interface personally.

Comment

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
          I noticed some extensions that are already compatible up to Firefox 6.x so I guess it's just PR stunt to get more people at every "major" release (which would probably be called 3.7.8 in the old days).
          Anyone noticed anything, any "major" change?? THe URL at the bottom perhaps?
          Improved HTML5 support, CSS Animations, various security and performance improvements; more info in the release notes, or you can see a list of every single change together with a link to the associated bugzilla entry.

Comment

Buggy piece of tulip. Opening a new tab slows the whole machine down, massive CPU usage. On Chrome now. Just stick with v3 IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Crikey, that was quick - I haven't even got around to upgrading to FF4 yet

Firefox web browser | International versions: Get Firefox in your language
              Lol me neither, on FF4 first release since its stable .....

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                Buggy piece of tulip. Opening a new tab slows the whole machine down, massive CPU usage. On Chrome now. Just stick with v3 IMO.
                Seems like normal FireFox behaviour.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Improved HTML5 support, CSS Animations, various security and performance improvements; more info in the release notes, or you can see a list of every single change together with a link to the associated bugzilla entry.
                  Fluff or substance?

I note that Mozilla have stepped up their upgrade campaign. I recently installed 3.6 on an old machine and was greeted with an update to 3.7. When upgrading to that I was greeted with "Nearly there, now please upgrade to 4".

At that point I went back to 3.5 and ignored update pleas

(I have a good reason for this, it's only on one system, and I only access specific sites from that instance)
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Can't wait to try out the new FF5. FF4 is such a disappointment. Liked the older one way more.

Comment

Working...
                    X