• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What laptop? (powerful, large, light).

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richard101 View Post
    My shortlist (in current order of preference) is.

Sony Vaio
    Apple Mac Pro/Air
    Dell
    Lenovo thinkpad 520
    Toshiba M11

advice please
    Don't get a Vaio.... I bought one once, never again... bits were falling off and had to be glued back on within months. They're not very well built imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
      Don't get a Vaio.... I bought one once, never again... bits were falling off and had to be glued back on within months. They're not very well built imo.
      The Z series are fine as they are built in Japan for the Japanese market. Shame there's not one available at the moment.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

As I said Thinkpad wad my first choice but for technical consultancy I need half an eye on looks. Is apple a capable choice? And more importantly will its lack of windows7 be a problem? Given my requirements

Comment

As I said Thinkpad wad my first choice but for technical consultancy I need half an eye on looks. Is apple a capable choice? And more importantly will its lack of windows7 be a problem? Given my requirements
          Your laptop's looks are important for technical consultancy? Do you realise how strange that sounds?

If you really are worried about looks then get a Macbook Pro. I've got one of the new ones with a quad core I7 and 8GB of RAM so it munches through anything I throw at it. I can dual-boot into Windows 7 if I need to, or just run it in a VM in VMWare Fusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus
            First IBM Thinkpad 760CD lasted seven years (1995-2002).
            Second IBM Thinkpad T23 lasted seven years (2002-2009).
            Then switched to Dell.....
            Dell Vostro 1520 lasted just two years (2009-2011).
            Just bought a new Lenovo Thinkpad T520.
            Notice it's a Lenovo Thinkpad brand now not IBM, it will be interesting to see if build quality is still the same
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Another +1 for the macbook. Mine's pretty awesome.

Mind you, it should be for £3k.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

As I said Thinkpad wad my first choice but for technical consultancy I need half an eye on looks.

Comment

I like the "monolith from 2001" look myself, it's purposeful and businesslike.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus
                    First IBM Thinkpad 760CD lasted seven years (1995-2002).
                    Second IBM Thinkpad T23 lasted seven years (2002-2009).
                    Then switched to Dell.....
                    Dell Vostro 1520 lasted just two years (2009-2011).
                    Just bought a new Lenovo Thinkpad T520.
                    Not surprising really... the vostro is more consumer orientated and designed/priced accordingly which your comparing to a corporate class T series IBM
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I've just taken the plunge and bought a Dell laptop from their outlet site. The spec is a quad core i7 with 6gb Ram, 640gb HD and a 15 inch screen. It's not light though but it's battery life is pretty good (9 cell one). It's got a 2gb nVidia 540m graphics card. It cost £570 with a 1 year warranty. So far I'm pretty impressed!
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X