• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google Chromebook

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Chromebook

BBC News - Is Google's Chromebook the future of computing?

Could be very interesting if they go for <£200 (they're expected to be $199 in the US), I see PC world are straight in there offering them at £350+.

If google are serious about getting a big market share they need to be subsidised.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Amazon too.

Samsung Series 5 Wi-Fi Chromebook (Arctic White): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

That is going to need to get a lot cheaper to succeed IMO.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Amazon too.

Samsung Series 5 Wi-Fi Chromebook (Arctic White): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Absolutley agree, you can get a very reasonable netbook for much less not to mention an entry level laptop for that price. You don't need Google's operating system to already use everything in ther cloud, Microsoft's cloud based offering is very good.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Amazon too.

Well they've knocked 99p off.

It's a pretty low spec lappy with a free OS.

I'd be in the market for one but not at that price.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I thought Google's model was a monthly price
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

$199 in the USA certainly doesn't equate to £350 in my book. I struggle to justify the $1=£1 price points (ok I've always hated them), but $1=£1.75 can get stuffed.

I've got a Samsung netbook I picked up cheaply a couple of years ago it's damn handy and gets a fairly large amount of use so I'd replace it if it died, but not at that sort of price.
            Plus mine has a 60Gb drive which I do use quite a bit and runs standard MS Office with Win7 so it's bog standard, familiar and easy to get applications. Slingbox for instance is a must as I use it as a TV when in hotels.

Oh and the total internet dependency renders the Google netbook devices utterly useless to me, I doubt I connect my Android phone to wireless or 3G more than a couple of times a week and then only if I'm after something specific.

No unique or even common selling points to me at this time, I'd rate it as wildly overpriced and under featured for what I need and want.
            Last edited by TykeMerc; 17 June 2011, 02:31.

Comment

I think all the recent stories of sites being hacked may make the more intelligent rethink the idea that it's good to have your personal information outsourced in such a way.

Logically these giant companies should also be less trustworthy than the small simply because if they screw up and someone steals all your info they can afford the multi million pound fines without so much as a blink of the eye.

For now I feel more secure having my info on a hard drive in my own computer, if it is computerised at all.

Though there's probably very little personal information that is truly valuable to anyone else, other than those looking to steal from you or sell you something.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                $199 in the USA certainly doesn't equate to £350 in my book. I struggle to justify the $1=£1 price points (ok I've always hated them), but $1=£1.75 can get stuffed.
                The $1=£1 thing has always annoyed me too. This is something that Apple do better, certainly where I am living. They appear to take the exchange rate at product announcement and add a percentage to cater for currency fluctuations and then stick with that price. With the continuing decline in the USD against my currency I'm holding off buying any Apple kit at the moment in the hope I'll be able to take advantage of that currency recalculation for new models

Apple may have a reputation for higher priced kit, but as soon as I take the exchange rates used for Windows software prices out of the equation it starts to look a bit different.

I've got a Samsung netbook I picked up cheaply a couple of years ago it's damn handy and gets a fairly large amount of use so I'd replace it if it died, but not at that sort of price.

Plus mine has a 60Gb drive which I do use quite a bit and runs standard MS Office with Win7 so it's bog standard, familiar and easy to get applications. Slingbox for instance is a must as I use it as a TV when in hotels.
                For that use you don't really need anything flashier.

Oh and the total internet dependency renders the Google netbook devices utterly useless to me, I doubt I connect my Android phone to wireless or 3G more than a couple of times a week and then only if I'm after something specific.

No unique or even common selling points to me at this time, I'd rate it as wildly overpriced and under featured for what I need and want.
                Fortunately I haven't had to use hotels for quite a while, but I did nearly a year of them half a dozen years ago and the internet charges could get extortionate. Things have improved since then but I'm still wary of being held to ransom.

And as PAH says, the level of internet attacks going on at the moment does ring alarm bells.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  I think all the recent stories of sites being hacked may make the more intelligent rethink the idea that it's good to have your personal information outsourced in such a way.

Logically these giant companies should also be less trustworthy than the small simply because if they screw up and someone steals all your info they can afford the multi million pound fines without so much as a blink of the eye.

For now I feel more secure having my info on a hard drive in my own computer, if it is computerised at all.

Though there's probably very little personal information that is truly valuable to anyone else, other than those looking to steal from you or sell you something.
                  The other thing is that despite the free space offers we are seeing at the moment, a move to a rental model is inevitable. This implies having your credit card details lying around on one ore more servers somewhere.

Software upgrades are another potential issue with cloud based apps; you probably won't get the choice to stay with the old version which works for you, and if the app you rely on turns into bloatware you might be forced into upgrading your system before you want to (my ISP's webmail app can already slow my 1 year old desktop to a crawl).
                  Last edited by Sysman; 17 June 2011, 11:37. Reason: soacing
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    ..... Software upgrades are another potential issue with cloud based apps; you probably won't get the choice to stay with the old version which works for you, and if the app you rely on turns into bloatware you might be forced into upgrading your system before you want to (my ISP's webmail app can already slow my 1 year old desktop to a crawl).

??? If the app is truly in the Cloud how is it slowing your machine? - this is an earnest question BTW - if all the app is doing is delivering stuff into a browser, then surely the bottleneck's in the delivery?

Comment

Working...
                    X