• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 8

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 8

Looks very good, will be across all devices. Ill be moving all my devices to it.

BBC News - Windows 8 previewed by Microsoft

Originally posted by russell View Post
    Looks very good, will be across all devices. Ill be moving all my devices to it.

I love the statement
    In a bid to speed up its efforts to get more tablets running Windows in the hands of consumers, Microsoft has reportedly demanded that hardware firms work with a single chip maker as they produce their gadgets.
    As if that is going to work in reality!

I understand the principle as its how Apple works but if you really want to do that ignore the manufacturers and sell it yourself ala the Xbox.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

But for ordinary PCs whats the USP to upgrade from 7 if you haven't got touchscreens ?
      Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
        But for ordinary PCs whats the USP to upgrade from 7 if you haven't got touchscreens ?
        Too early to say, however I like to have all my OSes at the same version.

Comment

Windows 8 won’t work on desktops, laptops and tablets | PC Pro blog

Sums up pretty much my views
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I can't remember where I read it, but Apple's conclusion from research was that vertical touchscreens are tiring to use and aren't a goer.

Hence the TouchPad.

I for one like to keep my monitor at a decent distance, and that isn't compatible with touching it.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Too early to say, however I like to have all my OSes at the same version.
              I used XP quite happily for ten years, and was glad I waited for other people I knew to get Vista before I risked it

Perhaps I'm getting old, Windows 7 seems quite stable and just seems to work I can't get excited about upgrades yet
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Perhaps I'm getting old, Windows 7 seems quite stable and just seems to work I can't get excited about upgrades yet
                I'll probably be the same.

Comment

I've only just made the step to Windows 7. The laptop that I use for client site work is still running XP, because that is what my clients are still using. However my office system and home development lab system have now (in the last month) been replaced and upgraded to 7, so it'll be a while before I move up - I'll wait for 9, because 8 will be the unstable one (every other version of windows seems to work well).

Comment

Windows 7 is a decent enough os with enough features to keep me happy, I cant see me upgrading until MS force me to by dropping support.

Comment

Working...
                    X