• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 8

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
    I used XP quite happily for ten years, and was glad I waited for other people I knew to get Vista before I risked it

Perhaps I'm getting old, Windows 7 seems quite stable and just seems to work I can't get excited about upgrades yet
    Operating systems used to be my field back when I was technical and that's not a sign of getting old, that's sensible caution when it comes to MS O/S's. There used to be a common saying "never buy an MS O/S until at least the first service pack is released". Admittedly with internet hotfixes that's a bit redundant, but hanging fire on an upgrade for a while until you can see the value is common sense.

I avoided Vista too and went to Win7.

Comment

They'd better have Windows Classic mode (Win NT 4.0 / Win 95 scheme) or I ain't upgrading

Comment

Windows 8 will be NT with some fluff and eye-candy.

Windows needs rewriting from scratch. One version for servers and one new version for tablets and one new version for PC/laptops. Each optimised for that platform.

Fed up with the same issues that have been around since NT 4.

Get a Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
          Looks very good, will be across all devices. Ill be moving all my devices to it.

BBC News - Windows 8 previewed by Microsoft
          That'll be Windows-for-Dildos then, eh?

Comment

I hate fingerprints on my screen, until they can solve that problem touch screen PCs aren't going to catch on IMO.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Windows 8 will be NT with some fluff and eye-candy.

Windows needs rewriting from scratch. One version for servers and one new version for tablets and one new version for PC/laptops. Each optimised for that platform.

Fed up with the same issues that have been around since NT 4.

Get a Mac.
              Ah Macs just Next and BSD with some fluff and eye-candy

Mac needs rewriting from scratch
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                I thought half problem was that they do more or less do that.
                What ever Microsoft do will, in some peoples eye's, be the wrong thing to do purely because it is Microsoft.

Bill Gates can't even give his billions away to helping the third world without attracting criticism!
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

I like windows 7. I liked 2000 and XP/Server 2003 as well. Vista was cack. I like linux and solaris too, less so as a desktop OS although some linux distros are very usable as such now.

I still don't want fingerprints on my screen though.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Kernel should be the same - bundled software may be different as well as default params.

My real issue with Microsoft is their greed when it to servers - Win Server 2008 Standard supports only 32 GB of RAM, FFS!!! You have to go to Enterprise level to support more, where as Win 7 supports 192 GB, WTF was responsible for that there?

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      WHS - desperate stuff. Like Everydog dog food, remember that?

PS: Do I still have to press the start button to switch it off?
                      Last edited by scooterscot; 3 June 2011, 21:41.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X