• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mac theft 'protection'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac theft 'protection'

In the event of some miscreant nicking, or you misplacing, your beloved macbook, what do the congregation do to;

a) ensure personal data is not compromised
    b) recover the shiny precious

Do people encrypt everything? Use apps like hidden or undercover? Use their own methods of devious discovery?

TIA

Pondy.

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    In the event of some miscreant nicking, or you misplacing, your beloved macbook, what do the congregation do to;

Do people encrypt everything? Use apps like hidden or undercover? Use their own methods of devious discovery?

TIA

Pondy.
    I stop people from nicking my mac book by not buying one in the first place
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

TIA

Pondy.

There are a few 3rd party apps around that can either track or remotely wipe your Mac if it gets pinched. (Fairly strong) Rumour has it that Apple will introduce FindMyMac in MacOS 10.7 Lion this summer as a Mac version of the Find my iPhone/iPad functionality already built into iOS 4.1

Basically, if it's switched on you can log onto the MobileMe servcie and it will show you where it is on google maps. Works brilliantly on the iPhone/iPad as they have GPS built in. Not sure how it will work for a MacBook yet.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

TIA

Pondy.
        Don't know about the data security bit (although activating your 'filevault' (in settings>security) might just do that) but as you say, this: Hidden - The most advanced theft tracking software for your Mac.
        Will do the rest. Not had the chance to use it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
          Don't know about the data security bit (although activating your 'vault' (in settings) might just do that... but as you say, this: Hidden - The most advanced theft tracking software for your Mac.
          Will do the rest. Not had the chance to use it yet.
          Nice, but if I was gonna nick a Mac, I'd not boot it off it's hard disk - I'd boot DVD and blat the hard drive and not connect to the outside world until I was sure. But - if it's logged as stolen somewhere the serial number is always there to implicate you.

Quick Google however shows you can change the serial!

Right - who's got a Mac and when are you out/on holiday? Oh, and where do you live....

Comment

Stek - it's highly unlikely most opportunistic thieves would have the wherewithall to do that, given the general IT literacy amongst the population. Otherwise, they wouldn't have to be thieves, shirley.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Nice, but if I was gonna nick a Mac, I'd not boot it off it's hard disk - I'd boot DVD and blat the hard drive and not connect to the outside world until I was sure. But - if it's logged as stolen somewhere the serial number is always there to implicate you.

Quick Google however shows you can change the serial!

Right - who's got a Mac and when are you out/on holiday? Oh, and where do you live....
              Doesn't the firmware passwd sort/stop this?

Comment

Doesn't the firmware passwd sort/stop this?
                I think the old change/replace a DIMM and Cmd-Opt-P-R and wait for the chimes three times will zap it - could be wrong though, certainly it worked on PPC Macs...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  I think the old change/replace a DIMM and Cmd-Opt-P-R and wait for the chimes three times will zap it - could be wrong though, certainly it worked on PPC Macs...
                  Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                  Stek - it's highly unlikely most opportunistic thieves would have the wherewithall to do that, given the general IT literacy amongst the population. Otherwise, they wouldn't have to be thieves, shirley.

WRHS

Comment

WRHS
                    I'm thinking of taking up thievery as a career then!

Come on, who lives where and what have you got?

Comment

Working...
                    X