• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

C# vs C++ performance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The trouble is there's a lot of propoganda about VM' s being just as fast as a native compled code. That's baloney and always will be. Java and C# are 3GL languages just like any other that have their own runtime environments, there's an overhead and with a large amount of data that is very noticeable. I have to face a horribly slow Java app everyday that slows my productivity down. These 3GL's are great for User interfaces but shouldn't really be used for serious "Data processing"; you simply throw away CPU "bandwidth".
    I assume you are referring to solaris studio. The debugger(dbx) isn't actually written in Java at all, your problem is the IDE which is IIRC an old version of netbeans and quite likely tulip.

Have you tried using the latest version? Instructions to set it up with sun studio compiler and debugger can be found Configuring the NetBeans IDE for C/C++/Fortran - NetBeans IDE 7.0 here (solaris studio 12 is a way down the page)
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      I assume you are referring to solaris studio. The debugger(dbx) isn't actually written in Java at all, your problem is the IDE which is IIRC an old version of netbeans and quite likely tulip.

Have you tried using the latest version? Instructions to set it up with sun studio compiler and debugger can be found Configuring the NetBeans IDE for C/C++/Fortran - NetBeans IDE 7.0 here (solaris studio 12 is a way down the page)
      Thx for that I'll check it out, good tip.

One problem is the app is massive, even with the old native motif debugger it was slow, but bearable. But You're right we should research it a bit and see if we can't get a better version. With normal apps it's a bit slow but generally OK.

I've been meaning to hunt around for something better, maybe some open source thing, or get niftier with dbx.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        W

SKA C# code runs on a cluster with 1 TB of RAM and 144 cores.

HTH
        SKA is an application which automatically sales, as are nearly all web-apps. Making arbitrary code multi-threaded effectively is hard.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          SKA is an application which automatically sales, as are nearly all web-apps. Making arbitrary code multi-threaded effectively is hard.
          If it automatically sales then AtW would be rich and he wouldn't have to scrimp and save for his beloved sofa.

I think you mean it automatically scales but in reality it doesn't. The vast majority of the work is a simple process which can be run in parallel.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            I think you mean it automatically scales but in reality it doesn't. The vast majority of the work is a simple process which can be run in parallel.
            That's what I meant by automatically scaling.

Comment

Interesting paper from google comparing C++, Java, Scala and their own language Go here:

https://days2011.scala-lang.org/site...s3-1-Hundt.pdf
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I'd love to know how C# compared, they don't mention the test platform (that I could see) but I assume Linux. For a paper I would expect to know:
                • Hardware platform
                • Operating system
                • C++ compiler
                • Was C++ 32 or 64 bit
                • Java version

Are those details in there somewhere? For it to be a 100% credible paper we should be able to repeat the experiment. I'm not disputing the results, but such things are important. Are those data available?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I'd love to know how C# compared, they don't mention the test platform (that I could see) but I assume Linux. For a paper I would expect to know:
                  • Hardware platform
                  • Operating system
                  • C++ compiler
                  • Was C++ 32 or 64 bit
                  • Java version

Are those details in there somewhere? For it to be a 100% credible paper we should be able to repeat the experiment. I'm not disputing the results, but such things are important. Are those data available?
                  It does miss a bit of detail but you can repeat the experiment by downloading the source code and running it yourself on whatever platforms you like, which is likely to give you more relevant results IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    If it automatically sales then AtW would be rich and he wouldn't have to scrimp and save for his beloved sofa.
                    I'll have some shrimp on me sofa

Comment

Working...
                    X