• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

tv on my monitor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Olly, As far as I am aware, the VGA standards havent changed for quite some time. So to answer your question, VGA has never supported HD, and probably never will. HDMI does support HD (hence the name). You may be able to play HD content on via your VGA connections, but that will require software codecs to allow you to see the HD content in VGA mode and not in true HD mode (whatever that may be).

VGA doesn't support audio, and is unlikely to support it in the future. DVI doesn't support audio either. It's only HDMI that outputs any form of sound without a separate sound card.

Hope that helps.
    Don't confuse VGA - the screen mode with a VGA connectors
    VGA Connectors will support a HD picture
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I have found some devices will only accept certain resolutions via the VGA input though. This isn't a problem with monitors as these will tend to be 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 natively and will often accept other "standard" resolutions as input as well, but some "HD ready" TVs can be a bit funny about what they will accept via VGA.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        I have found some devices will only accept certain resolutions via the VGA input though. This isn't a problem with monitors as these will tend to be 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 natively and will often accept other "standard" resolutions as input as well, but some "HD ready" TVs can be a bit funny about what they will accept via VGA.
        Could be the TV or the video card.
        You typically want to run a TV connected to a pc/laptop at maximum resolution anyway - can't imagine why you'd want to do less.
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          Could be the TV or the video card.
          You typically want to run a TV connected to a pc/laptop at maximum resolution anyway - can't imagine why you'd want to do less.
          Yes the trouble is when you get a HD ready (as opposed to full HD) TV and the panel native resolution is an odd one that either isn't supported by the video card or in the cases I'm thinking about explicitly not supported as an input resolution. I've seen a few of these now, why anyone would design something that stupid is beyond me but they are out there.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Don't confuse VGA - the screen mode with a VGA connectors
            VGA Connectors will support a HD picture
            Indeed. VGA was 320x240, or maybe 640x480 with 16 colours. I forget. But absolutely nobody uses VGA the screen mode anymore.

You can convert from anything to anything, pretty much, but quality will suffer. I have a 1280x1024 17" LCD connected to my Dell laptop by VGA, but it's a bit ropey, usable, but not great. The question is whether what you want most is an external monitor to use for proper computing (i.e. reading text), or whether you just want to play movies or games or whatever. If the former, by a monitor, if the latter, buy a proper telly. But to get the best quality you'll need a new laptop with a digital (DVI or HDMI) output.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

But what's the difference between a monitor and a telly?
              It looks to me like the one I linked to is both with no compromises.
              No way I'm buying a new laptop and the VGA plug is the only way it can connect to an external monitor so whatever it's like it'll have to do....
              I may, and it's a big may, look for a desktop that can use as a music store type thingy but it would need to be silent(ish) running but still have plenty more kick than my laptop to do my data analysis work. I'm guessing they don't really exist on a budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                But what's the difference between a monitor and a telly?
                A proper telly probably has extra processing stuff, like MotionFlow on Sonys, and probably doesn't have a VGA input. But yes essentially there's no difference these days.

BTW can you get Freeview? I assume you have no kind of TV now, or you wouldn't be asking.

Comment

Hi the one I linked to has Freeview built in (though not Freeview HD whatever that is)
                  I'm just getting myself set up in advance to moving to some digs for a new contract. Don't know exactly what they'll have, but I'm working on the premise everywhere has a terrestrial aerial

Comment

Still can't get Freeview through my aerial. Although it is coming here in September.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                      Hi the one I linked to has Freeview built in (though not Freeview HD whatever that is)
                      I'm just getting myself set up in advance to moving to some digs for a new contract. Don't know exactly what they'll have, but I'm working on the premise everywhere has a terrestrial aerial
                      Why not wait until you find what's there? I've lived in a couple of places with such lousy reception that receiving some channels was dependent on the weather.

It would be a shame to invest in some nice kit then find you couldn't use it.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X